Chapter 13: And That's How I Almost Strangled Someone

I'd already forgotten what a New England winter felt like, apparently. Let me summarize it:

It's cold.

"Did you remember your gloves?"

"Yes, mom."

"And a scarf?"

"Yes, mom."

"And hand warmers?"

"Yes, mom."

My mother reaches out to pat my face and smiles. "I think that tropical paradise spoiled you. You're cold already."

I sigh. Maybe it did. I open the door and trek out into the snow. My old stable is across the street, but said street hasn't been plowed yet, so it might take some time.

"Good morning, Kyle!" shouts my neighbor from his mailbox. "Long time no see!"

I grin and wave. "Good morning, Mr. Lavin!"

I all but run into the warm, well-heated main barn. I give myself a minute to thaw, then set out down the aisle for the lesson horse row.

Because Prim and Sol are only staying for a couple of weeks, there wasn't enough room in the boarders' section for them. Doesn't matter to me where they are, as long as they're comfortable.

"Alright, Sol, you're next," I call, turning into the row. I stop short when I see an empty stall.

"Erin?" I reach out and stop the stablehand pushing a wheelbarrow out of the next stall over. Erin was new when I left for school, so I don't know her well. "Was Sol moved this morning?"

She shakes her head. "No, he was just in his stall. I can't imagine where he is." 

My eyes widen. Frantically, I open my tack trunk. My bridle is where it usually is, but my saddle is gone. "Shit," I swear under my breath.

The stalls on either side blur as I sprint through the aisle. I skid around the corner and slide to a stop in front of the entrance to the indoor arena. I peer over the gate.

A horse that looks just like Sol prances nervously in the middle of the arena, rider on his back.

I see red. I slip under the gate as fast as I can, but not before Sol throws a few huge bucks and bolts across the dirt. His rider hauls in on the reins and digs her spurs into his sides. He throws up his head and stops, eyes rolling.

I march toward the pair, seething. Sol spots me and drags his rider to me. 

I grab his reins. "Get. Off," I growl.

She looks down at me, a smirk on her face. "Oh, Kyle, is he yours?"

"Cameron."

She slides down and Sol skitters sideways, away from her.

"Explain."

"Well," Cameron grins. "I was only doing my job."

I'm breathing fire. Sol shoves his head into my shoulder and I gently rub his face.

"Dana asked me to exercise the lesson horses during my winter break, and in case you hadn't noticed, your horses are stabled in the lesson block. I simply assumed he was a new horse."

"You mean to say, you saw a horse you'd never seen before. And your first reaction, before asking Dana or Peter or Will about it, was to ride it?" I spit.

"I was only following directions," she says, crossing her arms.

Sol nudges me again and I notice the line of red foam at his mouth. I open his mouth and look inside. "You used what bit?!" I gently ease the bridle off and throw it at Cameron's feet.