Chapter Twenty-Three - The End

"I personally feel like I shouldn't have to pay for mine."

"Charlie, I have spent fifty dollars on different flavors of apologies. I'm not buying you any more ice cream," Dean said as he, Charlie, Cas, Sam and Gabriel stood in the middle of a desert shop that January.

"Well then Cas should do it," Charlie said.

"Cas should buy ice cream for all of us," Gabe said. Cas rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"How about we all pay for our own ice cream," Dean said. Cas walked up to the counter. The guy behind the counter had been watching the five of them with an amused look.

"Can I have a chocolate cone, please. And can you crumble up a piece of apple pie and put it in a cup of vanilla ice cream?" Cas asked with his rumbling voice. The guy nodded.

"Hey, why does he not have to pay for his?" Charlie demanded.

"It's not Dean's fault he has a boyfriend that wants to pay for his ice cream. It's a curse. I would know," Gabe said, glancing at Sam. Sam raised an eyebrow at Gabe.

"I'm not paying for you," he said.

"Fine," Gabriel pouted, walking up to the counter.

They all sat at a table together, talking and laughing and eating ice cream. They'd started doing that more and more as Cas started talking more, and they had fun. Cas and Dean were getting serious, and so were Sam and Gabe. If thirteen-year-olds can really be in serious relationships, anyway.

Once everyone else had left, it was just Dean and Cas sitting across from each other.

"I'm liking this," Dean said. Cas smiled.

"Eating ice cream?" He asked.

"Everything," Dean said.

"Are you sure you're okay? After everything that happened with your dad. It was all so quick," Cas said.

"I'm fine. You stopped him, and he's gone, and Bobby knows about it. I can put it behind me," Dean said. Dean reached out and took Cas' hand, running his thumb over the back of it.

"I'm glad," Cas said. Dean watched Cas, smiling. "What?" Cas asked.

"I love to hear you talk," Dean said. Cas grinned.

"Oh you do? Well, the things I'm going to whisper in your ear," Cas said, smirking. Dean stared at Cas, his brain short-circuiting. Cas laughed.

"Relax. The threat is half empty," Cas said, clearly enjoying the effect his words had had. Cas stood up and Dean followed, the two of them walking out the door.

"I'm glad we're here, Cas. You mean a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me too, Dean." And with that they walked down the street, fingers laced together, with not a care in the world and loving it.