Chapter Nineteen - Stargazing, Take Two

Dean looked up when he felt Cas' hand on his shoulder. Dean stood up shakily and they both headed inside. Cas still looked shaky, but he was the one who led Dean to the closet, grabbed a blanket, and headed for the window at the end of the hall.

Once they had put the blanket down and sat on it, Cas finally pulled out his phone and started typing.

Dean, what happened?

Dean laid back on the blanket, staring up at the stars, not answering Cas' question. He couldn't make his mouth work, and even if he could, would he really tell Cas everything? Cas only thought of this as a physical relationship. But... if that was really the case... would Cas have shared his mother's death with Dean? Dean didn't think so. But whichever way it was, Dean needed to talk.

"I saw... I saw my dad," Dean said quietly. Cas turned his head to look at Dean, his face questioning. "I'm sure you've wondered why Sam and I live with Bobby... we were taken away from my dad," he said.

What did he do?

"He... he abused us. Me. After my mom died when I was four, Dad lost it. He started drinking. He... It seemed like I could never do anything right. By the time I was ten, Sammy was the only thing keeping me alive. If I was gone, I knew Dad would turn on Sam, and I couldn't let that happen. I don't know what happened to Dad after we left, I never asked. But I never thought I'd see him again." Dean took a deep, shuddering breath. "It probably wasn't him at the park anyway. What would he being doing there anyway? There's no way it was him," Dean tried to convince himself. Dean sat up slowly, thinking. Cas stared at him.

"Did I tell too much? I'm not some emotional baby, you know, I just..." Dean trailed off when Cas placed a gentle hand on the side of Dean's face. Dean looked at Cas, confused, before Cas leaned forward and kissed Dean gently. Dean kissed him back. This wasn't Cas' usual approach, and Dean didn't really feel like it, but what the hell, maybe it would make him feel better. Dean started pulling his coat off, not thinking about how cold it was, when Cas' hands closed over Dean's and Cas pulled away, shaking his head.

"You... you don't want to..." Cas shook his head again. "Oh," Dean said simply, pulling his coat back on. Cas kissed Dean again but didn't linger this time, pulling away quickly and turning to stare out at the street. Dean watched Cas, thinking about what had just happened.

"Cas?" Dean said softly. Cas turned his head slightly but didn't look directly at Dean. "Would you... do you maybe want to get dinner with me tomorrow night?" Dean asked. Cas looked straight at him now, but he made no move to answer. Dean started getting nervous. Had he gotten things wrong? Maybe Cas sharing with him wasn't a sign of love... oh no, Dean had ruined it, hadn't he?

I'd like that.

Dean smiled softly and he laid back on the blanket again. Cas did too, and they stayed like that for a few more hours, just watching the sky. Maybe things were about to get better.