Chapter Thirteen - Stargazing

"Cas?" Dean said softly after a minute of watching him. Cas didn't respond. Dean walked into the room softly, walking around the bed to see that Cas was indeed sleeping. Dean smiled at the look on Cas' face and started beck towards the door, but he was stopped just before he got there by the sound of Cas whimpering. Dean turned around sharply when he heard it, surprised to hear Cas making noise. Cas was twitching, all of a sudden seeming agitated. Dean watched him, walking back around to look at his face again, and this time the expression was different. He looked... scared, almost terrified. Dean watched him for a second, until Cas made an especially loud and panicked noise. Dean climbed onto the bed behind Cas and wrapped his arms around him.

"It's okay Cas. It's okay," Dean murmured into Cas' ear. Cas calmed down slowly and they both laid there, Dean suddenly realizing that he wished things were like this more often. He needed more of this in his life.

***

Dean woke up when Cas started moving. It was dark out, Dean couldn't tell what time it was.

"Cas?" Dean asked as Cas sat up, swinging his legs over the side of the bed. Dean sat up too, not knowing what to say. Cas looked around at Dean and Dean blinked in shock. The look in Cas' eyes was so... hollow. "Cas, are you okay?" Dean asked, also sitting up. Cas pulled out his phone.

You said the roof was a good place for stargazing. Can we go up there?

"Yeah, of course," Dean said. "Let me grab a blanket and meet me at the window at the end of the hall." Cas nodded absentmindedly and headed out towards the hall. Dean checked the time. 3:42 A.M. Dean grabbed a large quilt from the closet and headed to the window, where Cas was waiting. Dean opened the window and they both climbed out.

"This way," Dean said, leading Cas around to the side of the house where there was a part of the roof that was almost flat. He placed the quilt over the layer of snow and he and Cas both laid down on it, looking up that the sky. There were still some clouds hanging in the sky, but most of them had moved on.

"The stars are pretty tonight," Dean said. Cas nodded. Dean turned his head to look at Cas, who was still staring at the stars, and took his hand reluctantly. Cas looked over at him.

"You know, you're really not as bad as people say. I don't know why people can't see this side of you. They might start to like you more," Dean said. Cas sat up and pulled his hand out of Dean's. "Did I say something wrong?" Dean asked. Cas pulled out his phone and quickly typed something.

I hope you aren't misunderstanding anything here. We aren't a thing. There are no feelings. You made a deal with me to stop me from hurting myself. That is it.

Dean stared at the message.

"Oh. Uh-of course. I'm sorry," Dean said. Cas stood up abruptly and started walking towards the window.

I'm going back to bed. I'll be on the couch if you need me.

"Take my bed. I'll be fine on the couch. I might not go back to sleep anyway," Dean said. Cas paused, looking at Dean, then nodded.

Dean was right, he didn't sleep for the rest of the night, and the sun rose on him still sitting on the roof, trying to ignore how numb he was from the cold, or how the tears had frozen on his cheeks. He was fine.