Never Guilty

Of course I did it. You didn't hear me deny it in court, did you? I stood before the judge, the prosecutor, those twelve men good and true, and I said I did it. It would have been churlish of me to have said otherwise, and just think of the trouble that I spared all those people. Of course I denied the press of pages of copy and hours of exposure, but they were not important. I spared the relatives the horror of reliving those events, and the jurors will sleep untroubled by the knowledge of what passed on that day. I really am most considerate.

Still, you continue to hound me. I know that you were the detective who broke the case; that you spent months trying to find me. In some ways you even came to know me better than I know myself. After all that, I would have thought that you would have been glad to be rid of me. It must have been traumatic coming to understand my thought processes, my motives. I would not call myself a pleasant individual. What must it have been like to come to that intimate knowledge? No. Don't tell me.

I am sure you must be satisfied with my punishment. It is the maximum penalty the law allows for. How can I be so sanguine? Of course, when I started on this I knew what the consequences would be. I considered whether what I did would be worth it, and I made my decision. Now that I have been sentenced, I will not complain. There are no grounds for me to do so. I must admit that I was hoping for some clemency, given my cooperation; but I cannot fault the judge's decision. Of course society must be protected. Of course an example must be set. I just happen to be that example.

And you are still here, sitting beside me on my final night. I cannot deny that the company is appreciated, even if you are doing it for selfish reasons. No - do not try to deny it. I know that you want something from me. Please, be honest. Tell me why you are here. Tell me what it is that you want from me.

There. That was easy. Doesn't it feel good to unburden yourself of such a silly, petty request. However, I am sorry. I cannot help you. While I have admitted everything and denied nothing, I will never use that word. I am not, and never will be.

However, you are still welcome to spend this last night with me. We still have so many things we can discuss.