Sirens

As the notes of the ATTACK WARNING RED siren echoed across the city, David Chambers made his way down piss-stinking stairs, into the supposed safety of the air raid shelter. The subterranean space was already packed with hundreds of people, and David had to thread his way carefully through the crowd until he could find a space. Then, he sat down, his back against a damp concrete wall, and waited.

"Alright folks!" the shelter warden called out. "We don't know how long we'll be down here! So, everybody just stay calm, and we'll see what happens!"

"I hope it's just a scare," somebody next to David said. David glanced to his left. In the half-light of the shelter he saw a young woman, her blonde bangs hanging askew.

"There sure have been a lot of them." David looked up at the ceiling, watching the lights sway back and forth.

"Yeah. Anyone would think that they were trying to make life hard for us."

"Who?" David asked idly. "The government or the enemy?"

"Aren't they the same?" the young woman responded.

David started to laugh, then suppressed it as heads around them turned in their direction. ""Yeah," he said after a moment. "But don't let the warden hear you say that. You don't want a black mark on our records, do you?"

The blonde-haired woman shook her head. "Guess not. But, I don't mind telling you, I'm scared every time the siren goes off. I don't know what's going to happen."

"Me too. I mean, it could be a sneak raid or it could just be a drill. It's not like they tell us."

"Chris." The woman extended a hand.

"David." He extended his hand in response. The young woman took his hand in hers and squeezed it tight. Her hand felt soft and warm against his. David looked at Chris, receiving a nervous smile in return.

"So," Chris asked, "do you come here often?"

David shook his head. "No. I was just passing by when the alarm sounded. I just followed the signs and ducked in." He saw Chris shake her head and grimace. "Sorry. Isn't that what you meant?"

"No. I was just trying to be funny. You know, lighten the mood. God knows I need it."

"We all do."

Chris tightened her grip on David's hand. There was an awkward silence as the two of them sat side by side, unsure of what to say next. David broke first. "Well," he began, then there was the sound of a drawn out note from above - the ALL CLEAR signal.

"Right folks!" the warden called. "Guess we get to live another day! Everybody out!"

David got awkwardly to his feet, helping Chris up as he did so. "Well, I guess that's it. Maybe I'll see you again?"

"Next air raid scare?" Chris asked. "Maybe. If you're passing."

They climbed the piss-stinking stairs, back into the sunlight, and went on their separate ways.