Chapter 39 ~Wait~

Beginne am Anfang

"How did you know Mr. Barker?" Detective Hernandez asked. I hesitated for a moment, thinking of the best way to state that I'm in a gang that's affiliated with illegal trades and transactions. "Listen, I've heard that your no saint. You can tell me the truth. You're not going to end up in prison for it. Your answers are confidential in a way.

"Uh... I met him a long time ago. I worked for him for a while."

"Doing what?"

"Making sure that other people were keeping up their ends of deals with him. Nothing crazy though, honest."

"What were your relations with Mr. Barker when he was killed?"

"I hadn't talked to him in months, maybe even a couple years at this point. Look, I really don't care for the guy so I hadn't seen him in a really long time. I don't want to. Not my type of guy. And I'm trying to get out of all of that sort of stuff anyway."

"Did you owe him any money when he died?"

"No, he actually had owed me money, but I hadn't bothered trying to get it back for the time that I haven't been talking to him. It was just a few thousand and it honestly wasn't worth it." I answered.

"Would you say that you resent the rich?"

"Yeah, but not in the way that you think. I have no violent feelings towards the rich. I just prefer to stay away from them. We're in different social classes." I grumbled and Detective Hernandez nodded like he understood.

"Now, this one is a serious question. Because this is one that just doesn't add up to me. Why weren't you at your house when the police came to get you. What were you doing at that other place?"

"It's a-" I was about to joke that it was a vacation home, but I knew that I shouldn't be joking. Besides, they would know that the house wasn't registered under any name, so I couldn't claim that the house belonged to me. This would dig me into a hole that I can't get out of. "A friend of mine used to live there and sometimes I like to hang out there."

"I should inform you that that's illegal since the home is no longer registered to any resident."

"I won't go there anymore. I had no idea that it was illegal." I claimed and it was true. I genuinely didn't know that it was illegal. I guess when you do things as illegal as i do, you forget about the little stuff.

"Chief Harris tells me that you know a man named Michael Clifford."

"Yeah, I hang out with him sometimes..." I said, slowly. I was uncomfortable now, but the second that I let Detective Hernandez know that, it was game over.

"Hang out with him... What does that mean exactly?"

"He's in my... group of friends... I see him every few days or so." He did say that I wouldn't get arrested for anything I said, as long as I didn't admit to murdering Mr. Barker.

"Does your... group of friends do illegal things sometimes?" he asked, pacing the room.

"You're making me nervous with your pacing, Detective. I think everyone does illegal things sometimes and we're honestly not that bad. I don't do anything illegal more often than an average person."

"When was the last time that you saw Michael Clifford. Chief Harris told me that he also recently had contact with Mr. Barker."

"I saw him earlier today..."

"And where was this?"

"At a race track... He's not there anymore, though."

"Then, where is he now?"