chapter sixteen - toy store and paparazzi

Start from the beginning

"Ready to go?" Ally asked, coming out of her room.

"Yup."

"Where're we going?" Willa asked handing Lauren LoBear while she grabbed the staircase handrail and began to jump down each step, using her mom and the rail for support.

"To do some shopping. We're all going to see our families for Thanksgiving so we need to get some gifts," Lauren explained, chuckling when Willa stopped on the third step, still holding the handrail as she waited for her mom to nod.

Willa jumped down from the third step and giggled.

"And she sticks the landing," Lauren cheers, handing the bear back to the girl before sitting on the ground to help her with her shoes.

"Am I going with you for Thanksgiving?" Willa asked, lightly chewing the ear of her bear, a habit she started the previous night.

"Of course," Lauren replied, tying shoes laces as she spoke. "You're my daughter, Willa."

"I love you, mommy," Willa wrapped her arms around Lauren's neck enjoying the squeeze she got in return.

"I love you more, WillaBee," Lauren said, tickling the girl's sides, which made her giggle loudly.

"My, my, my, doesn't the princess look beautiful today," Normani said, walking down the stairs as she put on her beige trench coat.

"Thank you, Mani," Willa said, blushing as she curled her chin down slightly, making the woman laugh at her bashfulness.

"What about me?" Lauren asked, raising an eyebrow at her friend, earning a playful shove from the woman.

"You look beautiful as always, Lolo."

"Back at ya, Mani," Lauren winked, swinging Willa up into her arms and tickling her belly lightly before grabbing her purse. "Meet you guys in the car."

~.~.~

The girls had split up after parking in the street, the shops and stores going on for several blocks before turning into restaurants. They had agreed to meet at their favourite sushi place at 6 for dinner, leaving four hours for the girls to run around and do the shopping they needed.

Normani stuck around with Lauren, both having a similar idea on what they wanted for their families. Ally and Dinah ran off to their favourite knick-knack store, both their mothers being avid collectors of the quirky little things.

Both women walked around the store, each holding a hand of Willa while Normani carried the child's bear under her free arm, occasionally dragging Lauren's attention to a nice scarf or pair of shoes that she thought would compliment Clara.

"Mama, can we go there?" Willa asked, letting go of Normani's hand to point at the toy store across the street.

"Sure, baby. Let's just make sure there's nothing here and then we'll go over," Lauren promised, grabbing at a scarf Mani was showing her.

"That's pretty," Willa piped up, making both women laugh.

"Which colour do you think is the prettiest?" Normani asked, crouching down and showing the red patterned scarf, the blue version, an army green, and a pale yellow.

"Ohh, the yellow," Willa said, pointing to the one she liked.

"What a wonderful choice, princess," Normani praised, kissing the girl's cheek before standing up and giving the item to Lauren.

"Well, I'm sure my mom is going to love this now since both you and Mani helped me pick it out," Lauren said to Willa as they went to purchase it.

"Can we go to the toy store now, please?" Willa asked, earning laughs from the women.