Faking It

(A/N: Finally summer, yay! This might be one of my favorite ones I've written, so I hope y'all like it too! As always, please comment, favorite, and follow! Love y'all!)

"Mom, I haven't found someone yet. No I don't want to date. Please just stop asking me." I paused to listen to her talk. You would've thought she would've been a little more flexible when it came to the love department, considering she didn't marry my dad until she was 32. But no, here I was, a fresh senior in college, and she wanted me to find someone to bring to the Friar Family Reunion this weekend. That leaves me five days to find someone willing to fly with me to Texas for three days. Yikes. "Yes ma'am. I'll find someone. Yes I'll make sure you get her name for her name tag. Bye mom." I rub a hand over my face and sigh. Really? She's not even a blood-Friar? Why does she care so much about the stupid reunion?

~

"I just don't understand. So it's a turtle and a puppy put together?"
"Yes Riles, that's all I came up with for my made up creature for art."
"If you hadn't stayed at Lucas' all weekend watching horror movies, you wouldn't have to worry about finishing this last minute."
"Go easy on her Riley," I say sitting down next to her. "She's the only one willing to watch  them with me, and if I don't have her, you'll be forced to watch them."
"On second thought, go ahead and hang with Lucas. It's a good picture, so you'll totally get an A," Riley tells the blonde across the table.
I laugh and watch Maya laugh too closing her sketchbook. "Alright Riles," she says putting the black book away in her backpack. The three of us talk for about another half hour before Riley gets up to leave.
"Well guys, this has been fun, but I gotta go check on Farkle. He feels awful and someone's gotta take care of him," she says. "And remember Maya, I leave for Pennsylvania this Thursday, so you have to check in on him then. His mom's coming for the weekend though."
"Got it," Maya says smiling. "Tell him I hope he feels better!"
"Will do peaches," she says back. "Bye Lucas!"
"Bye Riley!" I respond with a quick wave. Another five minutes pass as Maya finishes off the muffin that she had pulled out of her backpack earlier.
"Well I guess I should be heading out soon too. I have a paper due Thursday for English. Walk me to my dorm Huckleberry?"
"Sure." I live in the dorm next to her's and Riley's with Farkle so it wasn't that big a deal.
"So why's Riley going to Pennsylvania?" I ask trying to make small talk.
"Cory's sister is getting married soon. It's her wedding shower. Riley invited me, but those aren't really my thing. So I'll be hanging here this weekend," she shrugs.
"Huh, you'll be here all weekend doing nothing?" I ask her.
"Yup. Unfortunately. I have a really big art project due in a month, so I'll probably just work on that," she tells me laughing to herself. "Who am I kidding? I'll be eating EasyMac and watching Law and Order all weekend."
"Sounds like the dream Hart," I say swiping my ID to let us both into the building.
"You know it Friar. See you tomorrow?" she asks me walking backwards to the stairs.
"Bright and early for Matthews' English lecture." The nerve of the guy following us to NYU and then teaching our English class for the past four years.
"Bye," she tells me answering the phone. "Hey mom," she says as I watch her turn the corner.

~

"Today we're talking about Hamlet," Mr. Matthews says as a way of a greeting the next morning. I instantly tune him out, distracted with having to find a date for this weekend. I'm bouncing my knee incessantly - something I do when I'm nervous - when a folded up piece of paper lands on my desk.
'You okay? Your leg is shaking quite a bit... what are you nervous about?' Gotta give it to Maya, she knows me well.
'I'm fine, just gotta find a date for this stupid family gathering Saturday...' I pass it back to her and resume my leg shaking.
'Did you ask Riley? Or Vanessa?' I knew she'd suggest Riley. We were good friends, but I really don't think about her like that anymore. Plus, she and Farkle are practically married to each other, regardless of whether or not they admit it to themselves. And Vanessa is my lab partner. She likes me but I'm not interested in her at all.
'Riley is away. Plus you and I both know I'd be in trouble with Farkle if I took her away from him like that. And Vanessa is NOT for me.'
'Sorry Friar. I'm sure you'll figure out something. :('
'Actually -' I begin writing before my attention is brought to the front of the room.
"Mr. Friar, Ms. Hart, something insightful about Hamlet I presume?" Maya shakes her head no for us. "Then put it away," he tells us.
"Busted," Maya smirks under her breath.