She Was; She Was

When he was with Riley, he saw life as a movie. A movie like the 3rd Jurassic Park. Something continuous and fun, until it ended. You didn't really want to replay it. It was just there and you enjoyed it but didn't care whether or not you remembered it tomorrow morning.
But with Maya it was pictures. Snapshots throughout the day. The way her blond hair moved when she threw her head back to laugh. The color of her nails in the classroom light when she raised her hand. The sparkle in her eyes he saw when she spoke to him. He wanted to capture them all and save them. He liked going back through them, showing them to people, posting them online. He wanted to keep them because they were so precious and valuable. They told a story and had a rush of emotions associated with them. They were sometimes blurry and sometimes not in color, but he could tell they were only that way because they were meant to be that way.
Riley was special to him. She was his story. Something continuous that you like until you're done and you put it down. He doubts he'll read it again.
But Maya was the words. He needed her in his everyday life to function. He needed to sound it out and trip over the pronunciation sometimes, because reading and speaking word by word never went smoothly, but got out the idea just as well.
Riley was the main character. The one you loved and wanted to be or be best friends with. She liked her life just fine and had a good one. She was the story in its entirety. And he loved that.
But Maya was the scenery and the color. She was vital to the story. Without her, it made no sense. Nothing was fun to look at, because it wasn't complete. She was the one who made things brighter without trying. She didn't know she did it, but she did. She painted a picture that could tell a story of its own and hold many more. She was mystery waiting to be unlocked and he knew he had the map to the key. He didn't need anyone else, just her.
He loved his life in pictures. In words. But never together.

(A/N: Hope y'all like this! Any ideas or requests, just comment! I was thinking about making the Zay stories into a long proper story. I might not follow the same plot but it'd be through his POV and stuff. What do y'all think?)