Ninety Eight

"Look man, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it I'm just,-"

Link spun around to face him, tears in his eyes. "Save your breath. Please. I'm going to bed," he said as he started up the stairs. Christy ran past Rhett and followed Link up the stairs.

Rhett hunched over, holding his hands over his face. He felt like a total idiot. His hurt came out in a form of verbal abuse and he hurt Link in the process. He moved toward the wall and pressed his forehead against it, balling up a fist as it crashed into the wall above his head. His heart thundered in his chest as he squeezed his eyes shut, baring his teeth. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

He felt a presence behind him, a gentle hand on his back. He knew it was Jessie, but he couldn't turn to face her. He couldn't face any of them. The disappointment overwhelmed him so much that it caused him to feel dizzy. He suddenly pushed himself away from the wall and sprinted toward the downstairs bathroom.

Jessie took a deep breath, closing her eyes. Chase, Mike, Alex, and Eddie exchanged glances. Stevie simply shook her head.

"Well, that explained a lot," Alex said, and Mike shook his head.

"We have to protect Link," Mike declared.

"But how?" Chase asked, leaning forward in his seat. All of the color had drained from his face at this point. His heart had finally started to slow.

"You guys realize we'd be putting ourselves in danger also," Stevie pointed out, her voice wavering.

"Link is our boss. Our friend, our co worker. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have the amazing job that we have now," Eddie countered, and she had to nod her head in agreement. "Granted, we'll be putting our lives at risk but it'll be worth it. Question is, how?"

"That's my exact question," Chase said with annoyance.

Alex took a deep breath. "Maybe we should take the video game approach. Find out what its weakness is and attack."

"We already know that werewolves have a deadly reaction to Nightshade," Chase added.

"And that contained solar light can electrocute them," Eddie said.

"So we compile our defenses," Alex said with excitement bubbling in his tone. Stevie, Mike, Chase and Eddie had a hint of excitement etched in their faces also.

"Hold on," Rhett spoke weakly, leaning against the doorframe. "It's not going to be that simple. We need to rally allies, build our defenses, arm ourselves and learn as much about the enemy as we possibly can."

Stevie looked at Rhett with hope in her eyes. "Rhett, I know you feel like a horrible friend right now. You were just concerned for Link's well being. We totally understand. Whatever you need us to do, please tell us."

Rhett looked into her eyes, grateful that she understood. That didn't make him feel any less of a jerk for hurting Link's feelings, but he realized that he needed to move on. He needed to make it up to Link, and he needed to figure out how to protect Link. And fast.

Locke and Lincoln looked at each other, their faces etched with fear. All of the stuff that they had overheard was real. Werewolves were actually real, and they were trying to kill Lincoln's dad. They sat perched on the top landing, hidden behind a couple of laundry hampers.

"Do you think we can help them somehow, Locke?" Lincoln asked, worry laced in his tone. He almost lost his father once, he didn't want it to happen again.

Locke shrugged. "I doubt our parents will let us, but what can they do? What are they going to do with us while they're out there fighting?"

Lincoln nodded his head, his curls bouncing. Locke had a good point. It wasn't like their parents could ship them off. It wasn't like their parents could lie to them about it anymore.

They knew what was going on, and they wanted to help. "I think I have an idea," Lincoln said, earning Locke's full attention. "We should try and make weapons out of solar lights. Like, swords and stuff."

"You think we could do that? How are we supposed to be able to do that?" Locke raised an eyebrow.

Lincoln grinned wickedly, looking like a carbon copy of his father. "I heard that the school has a wood-working lab. We can break into the school tomorrow night, after we do some research and get the supplies that we need. I'll use all of my allowance and I'll convince Lily to use hers too."

"Me too! But we'd have to go to your house to get it," Locke said, his stomach dropping from the excitement. They were actually becoming involved in something really cool.

"You better prepare your legs, because we're gonna be doing a lot of biking!" Lincoln declared. Locke grinned and the two of them high fived excitedly.

☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️

Thank you so much for reading! Have you:

Commented?

Voted?

Added this book to your library?

Shared this book with your friends?

Any support would be greatly appreciated!