Sixty One

Link coughed, his heart beating so fast he thought it was going to come out of his mouth. He pushed himself onto all fours and then stood on his own two feet, his legs wobbling like jello. He understood that she was going to kill his brother so she could become an Alpha to avenge her sister, and he wasn't going to have that.

     An idea struck him while she was talking to Rhett, and he remembered back in his house when she was shifted and he had screamed. The scream seemed to make her shift back into her human form before she passed out cold, and he wanted to try and scream and see if that would still affect her like it had before. It was worth a shot. 

     He took a stance with his legs spaced apart and drew in a long, deep breath. He held it for several seconds, feeling the pressure building up in his chest and the base of his throat as if an elephant had sat on him. The color drained completely from his face as his heart pounded, his head swimming from no oxygen circulating to his brain. Clenching his fists at his sides so that his knuckles turned white, the palms of his hands ached from the force. He squeezed his eyes shut and opened his mouth wide as all the air he kept pent up in his lungs exited in a whirlwind of earsplitting sound.

     Rhett's eyes widened like saucers at Link's sudden scream and he forcibly yanked his arms out of Terra's grasp just so he could cover his ears with his hands. Terra cried out in agony, collapsing to the floor in a heap and writhing as if somebody had injected her with poison. Her face contorted with pain as she twisted on the spot, her fangs and claws slowly retracting back and her normal facial features setting into place.

     Glass shattered and rained over them like razor raindrops. The house shook on its foundation, putting an earthquake to shame. Every trinket hidden in the nooks and crannies of the old house rattled and clinked in terror. Rhett could swear that he felt a rush of wind as if somebody had opened the doors and windows in the middle of a hurricane. 

     Link's face flooded with redness as he exhausted the last of his breath. He finally snapped his mouth shut and doubled over, heaving for air. Rhett opened his eyes to see if Link had stopped screaming and if it was safe to remove his hands from his ears, and he slowly lowered them. He eyed Link with his own eyes wide, his mouth hanging open.

     Rhett gasped for breath himself, throwing his head back with relief when he realized that he hadn't been killed. By either supernatural. 

     Link slowly raised his head to look at Terra curled up in a ball on the floor, and she was simply staring off into space. Link began walking toward her and he knelt to the ground beside her, tilting his head to the side.

     He couldn't believe how unbelievably small and fragile she looked when she wasn't in werewolf form. Her face was pale and now soaked with tears as she began crying again, and she drew her knees even tighter to her chest. Link reached his hand out to touch her and she shook her head, her dark eyes watering up even more. "Just please leave me alone," she cried.

     Link recoiled, his lips curling into a frown. He rose to his feet and walked over to Rhett, offering his hand to him. They clasped hands and he helped Rhett up, Rhett groaning from the shooting pain in his back. He'd always had back problems, and now it was amplified times 1,000 since he was being thrown around like a rag doll. "Dude, how did you do that?" 

     Link looked into Rhett's eyes with a line of confidence that Rhett wasn't used to seeing since this whole ordeal happened. "I don't really know. I was able to subconsciously tap into it somehow." He fixed his glasses on his face. Rhett grinned and clasped him on the shoulder.

     "It saved my life, man! For the second time! This is wickedly unbelievable," he trailed off excitedly as his eyes lowered to Link's leg. His grin faded and he sighed deeply. This was also the second time Terra had caused Link physical bodily harm, and he found himself casting a brooding glance in her direction. "We have to get that cleaned up." 

     Suddenly his phone vibrated in his pocket and he picked up. "Hey, sorry about that. We got caught up with something. We'll be right there." Rhett paused, his face melting to terror. "What do you mean you're not at the warehouse anymore? I thought I told you two to stay there until we could pick you up!" He groaned and ran his fingers through his hair, making a dash for the front entrance of Terra's house. Link sprinted after him, quickly looking over his shoulder at Terra.

     "Link, come on!" 

     Link shook his head and proceeded to follow Rhett out the door.

☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️

Thank you so much for reading, commenting, and voting!