Sixty Eight

There, he said it. He heaved a giant breath, watching his wife's face expectantly. What he didn't expect was for her to bust out laughing. He narrowed his eyes and gave her a funny look. "Why is that funny?" 

     Christy shook her head, crossing her arms over her chest. She took a few steps back. "I don't understand why you're so reluctant to tell me the truth these days, but I guess I'm just gonna have to live with it. I'm gonna go help Jessie with dinner." She turned on her heel and started walking toward the door. 

     Link's eyes widened and he threw himself in front of her, his eyes wild. "You don't believe me? I did tell you the truth!" 

     Christy scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Seriously? A werewolf scratched you? How many of the children's books have been reading before bedtime lately?" She was mocking him now, and he felt a tint of pain grasp his heart. 

     He gestured to his leg. "What else do you think could have caused that?" 

     Christy ignored his question as she stormed past him and disappeared into the hall. His shoulders slumped and he felt like breaking down all over again. He began sniffling and he removed his glasses from his face, rubbing his eyes.

     "I believe you, dad," a small voice said. 

     Link's heart felt like it had stopped beating in his chest. He frantically put his glasses back onto his face and stared at Lily with wide eyes. "Lily," Link squeaked, blinking several times. He hadn't realized his daughter was standing right outside the door and more than likely heard the entire conversation. 

     Lily bolted into the bedroom and looked at Link's leg, her mouth falling open. She raised her eyes to look into his and he tightened his jaw. His heart was racing so fast in his chest. "It got you," she said, her tone webbed with concern. Her eyes narrowed as if she was thinking about something, Link tilting his head to the side. He didn't want to say anything else unless she confirmed that she had heard anything. 

     He not only felt like the biggest freak in Burbank, but he felt like the biggest loud mouthed freak in Burbank. He sighed deeply, waiting with a sour prickle in his stomach for her to say something. 

     Her eyes suddenly widened and she snapped her fingers. "Dad!" 

     Link recoiled, his eyes wild with alarm. 

     "I know how to make mom believe!" 

     They locked eyes for a moment before he hurriedly reached for his pajama bottoms, slipping them on. Lily was bouncing from one foot to the other excitedly. She steadied herself on both feet and clapped her hands together.

     "Lay it on me," Link said rather weakly, not sure how he should feel at the moment. He should have known that at one point or another, people were going to start finding out about this. People he was close to, no less.

     "Remember when the wolf attacked us at our house? Me and Locke were walking around waiting for you and Rhett and we found claw marks in the floorboards... like the ones on your leg," she said as she pointed to his leg that was now covered. He knew he should have probably covered it up with bandages, but that was on the very bottom of his list of worries at the moment. 

     He thought about what Lily had said, remembering vividly how the wolf tore down the hall after Rhett before Rhett electrocuted him with the solar lights. There had to have been similar divots in the ground downstairs, as well. Link brought his hand up to his chin and stroked it thoughtfully. "What are you thinking, Lily?" 

     Lily grinned. "We can go to our house and take pictures of the floor. Then we can show them to mom and she'll have to believe!" 

     Link's face dropped and he shook his head. "It's a wonderful idea sweetheart, but I think you should stay here and I'll go."