Forty Nine

Rhett moved out of the bathroom first, Link following on his heels. The kids huddled in the middle of the living room, surrounded by their suitcases in which they stuffed with haste. Locke and Lily held Shepard and Lando on their lap, and Lincoln was nestled up to Jessie. Link moved toward the door and Christy opened it wider, revealing Terra.

     She wore an oversized sweater over her halter top, her hands concealed by the sleeves. Link's heart jolted in his chest when they locked eyes, for he could see that the color shifted from the darkness back to her innocent brown. He had no trouble believing now that she was incapable of controlling herself, only because he couldn't control himself either. They were two unfortunate souls. "Terra? What's up?" He asked, stepping to the side to let her in. 

     She entered the house and looked at Christy, who had smiled at her. Terra hesitated to speak. "I was wondering if I could ask a favor of you." 

     Link tilted his head to the side. Of course he was willing to honor any favors. 

     She lowered her eyes to the floor. "Would you guys mind giving me a ride home?" 

     His eyebrows shot up his forehead. "Of course!" 

     Christy nodded adamantly. She had no idea who this girl was, but it was obvious that she shouldn't be wandering the streets at night by herself. "That would definitely be safer. Nobody should be walking these streets alone in the dark. Why are you out here, dear?" 

     Terra looked up into Christy's eyes with tears in her own. "I'm trying to find my sister."

☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️

     Christy invited Terra in and made her a warm mug of tea. The two of them cozied themselves in the living room with the kids, while Rhett and Link attempted to get cleaned up again. 

     Link had a steadier hand as he doctored Rhett's wound. He lightly dabbed at Rhett's wound, and even though he was as gentle as he could be, Rhett winced and sucked his bottom lip into his mouth. The peroxide sizzled in as it cleared out any bacteria that could cause a possible infection. Link watched with a grimace as it bubbled into a frothy white substance.

     He reached for the antibiotic ointment and used his free hand to fan air onto the wound to get the peroxide to dry before applying the ointment. He then squeezed a liberal amount onto his finger and very gingerly applied it to the wound. Rhett screwed up his face in anticipation for it to hurt. To his surprise, it felt cool and relieving once the ointment hit the raw flesh. 

     Link then took some medical tape into his hands and tore off four strips at least an inch long with his teeth, having Rhett hold the pieces with four available fingers. He made eye contact with Rhett as he was measuring a piece of gauze to fit the wound perfectly. "You're not gonna comment on me ripping the tape with my teeth?"

     Rhett grinned. "I think if you've got some superpower, healing just might be in that package deal." 

     Link smiled and used a pair of scissors this time to cut the gauze. He then placed it over the wound and Rhett handed him a piece of tape for each corner. Once he was finished, he gave Rhett a quick pat on the shoulder and Rhett rose to his feet, taking a quick glance in the mirror. He turned his head to the side and began nodding his head with approval. "Thanks, doctor Neal."

     "No problem," Link answered as he looked in the mirror. He touched the corner of his mouth, glad that the bleeding had stopped. He had already washed off the blood that stained his skin. He lowered his eyes to his shirt where it was splattered with the remainder and he shuddered, wondering how much of that blood was actually his. 

     Rhett looked down at Link beside him with a serious look. "If you wait until we get to my house, I can give you a Spongebob band-aid." 

     Link threw his head back and laughed, and Rhett felt his heart grow lighter knowing Link still had it in him to laugh. He wiped a tear away from the corner of his eye and shook his head with a grin. "Actually, I think I'll be fine."

☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️

     Terra rose to her feet as soon as Rhett and Link appeared in the living room. She moved toward Rhett and peered at him, her eyes exhibiting concern. She then looked at Link who wasn't bandaged at all and she arched a brow. "You're not gonna cover that up?" 

     Link gazed at her for a few seconds before he shrugged.

     "He has a thing against band-aids," Rhett said, jerking a thumb toward Link. 

     Link shook his head and looked down at his feet."Why should I? I survived." 

     Terra sighed deeply. The fact that she'd almost murdered her childhood friend slapped her in the face once again.

     "How are you doing?" Christy asked and Terra turned to look at her, seeing that she was talking to Link. She took Link by the face and softly kissed him on the lips. 

     He filled his lungs with air. "I think I'm okay. After we get Terra home and we get to Rhett's, I'll be great."

     "I have a steel baseball bat that I'll let you sleep with," Rhett consoled, playfully punching Link's arm. Link smirked and Terra's heart fluttered in her chest. If she had killed him, nobody would be seeing that cute smirk anymore. She lowered her eyes as Link reciprocated the punch and they were at it for several seconds, the kids joining in not too long after.

☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️

     They decided they were going to have Christy and Jessie take the kids to Rhett's house, while Rhett and Link took Terra home. Once they were in Link's car, they felt safe enough to speak about anything they wanted to without spilling anymore secrets.

     "You looked like you really wanted to tell us something," Rhett broke the silence, peering at Terra through the rear view mirror. 

     Terra nodded her head quickly, clearing her throat. "Actually, yeah. More like I wanted to ask you something," she started, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I really need help locating my sister. If that wolf was really my sister, there's no better candidates to help me than you two."

☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️☮️

Thank you so much for reading! Have you:

Commented?

Voted?

Added this book to your library?

Shared this book with your friends?

Any support would be greatly appreciated! ~ 𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓷𝓵𝓮𝔂𝟜𝟚