I nervously looked over at Roarke.

Scarlett flashed me a grin. "You would think that the men would find pleasure in two women dancing together, but it only angers them." She grabbed my wrists and spun me in a slow circle. "They're much too territorial."

"How have you been?" 

She eyed me. "Never better."

Scarlett intertwined our fingers and I followed her lead as she stepped backwards, then stepped forward, bumping our chests together. Every so often, we spun in circles and connected again by our hands. All of our movements were languid, almost memorizing, or at least, she was.

"How about you?" she asked, rather flatly. "You're the one who has mated with an Alpha."

"Mated?" I repeated, frowning. "Um, we haven't - we've just kissed."

Her eyebrows raised in surprise. "Wow, I just assumed. Any Alpha is quick to impregnate their female. They need an heir." Her gaze dropped to my stomach and an uneasiness washed over me. I hated the topic of pregnancy. "You're not a virgin, are you?"

I sputtered for a moment. "No, are you?"

"Babe, is that a serious question?" Scarlett replied, laughing. "I was just having my way with Rudy in the trees. Didn't you notice the sex sweat?"

I figured she was just hot from the fire. "Rudy? As in the man you care about? Who had you crying - "

"Yes, him," she interrupted, keeping a perfect posture as she danced. She noticed the confusion on my face and she grinned at me. "I haven't accepted him as my male. We just have fun. That's enough for both of us right now."

I bit my bottom lip. "So, why don't you accept him?"

I was startled when she leaned in close to me, her lips an inch from mine. "Because, I don't want to be owned."

Then, as quick as she was there, she was gone. I watched as Scarlett strutted away from me, flipping her hair. All of my encounters with her were short. She didn't like spending a lot time with someone. I think she was afraid of caring. Scarlett didn't do feelings. She had her walls and she didn't want anybody challenging them.

I headed back to Roarke, replaying her words in my head. 

With a sigh, I curled back into his side, feeling his arm tighten around my waist. In a matter of seconds, he was rolling over and situating himself on top of me, his arms straddling my head to keep his weight off me. I hoped not too many people were staring.

I felt every inch of his body pushing against mine, his large figure hiding me from eyes. 

"I wish you were dancing like that with me, not her," Roarke rumbled, his hand traveling up my thigh. "I was close to showing everybody here that you are mine."

I gulped. "Do you ever think that, maybe, you are a little too possessive?" 

"No."

"Well, you are," I told him, peering up at him. "Just a little bit."

"I think you like it," he purred, dropping his face into the crook of my neck. His hands roamed my upper thighs, before he forcefully made my legs wrap around his waist. It didn't feel wrong. At all. His breathing was ragged and uneven against my neck. He was trying to control himself. "I want you."

He rolled his hips into mine.

When I felt his sharp inhale by my neck, I grabbed his shoulder in surprise. My heart was hammering in my chest. We were in the clearing. People could see us. His stubbled jaw scratched my skin as he asked, "Do you want me?"