Partner

"Ready to pick our partners?" I asked Lucas. We sat on the sat that they cost for the love show dances. Mia wasn't too far away, giving me a dirty look. I ignored it.

"Yep you?" he asked.

"I'm always ready."I said.

"You're going to win a slot anyway."

"You are too Lucas, they'd be crazy not to put you through."

"Maybe, I'm not that good at contemporary and stuff like that."

"Then show them why they should pick you." I told him.

"5 minutes!" I man with headphones yelled. Everyone stood I was seeing a white dress with black dance shirt underneath along with a pair of black vans. Wardrobe gave it to me. Hair and make put my hair half up half down and curled it. My make up was light and natural. They put Lucas in a black t-shirt and jeans and black converse. He leaned over to me.

"Just so you know, I hope I get you as my partner." He said. I smiled. What is this competition doing to me? Lucas hardly spoke to me. Mainly because I didn't speak to anyone really. But since I started the competition, I've been more open. I've felt freer. I've been...myself. Something I was scared to be before. I might have to thanks, Lyla at some point.

He stood back straight and smiled at me. I can't imagine dancing with anyone else. Doing the dance workshop at the school and leading the routine...I haven't had that much fun in a long time.

"Me too," I said. The man with the headphones came and brought us backstage. The girls were put on one side and the boys on another. I listen as the principal introduced the judges. Then he started the speech.

"Welcome, now we have or dancers back stage, 16 boys, 16 girls. Tonight is the night we partner them up. Then week after week they'll work with our choreographers on the style of dance they have pulled from the hat. Each week we'll eliminate one boy and one girl till we reach our top six who will win the scholarships and the slots in our school for the second semester and the rest of their high school days." The crowd cheer and I felt as my heart raced. I looked at the other end seeing all the boys. Lucas was looking at me. He made motions telling me to take a deep breath. I followed him.

I felt better. My heart was calming. He gave me a thumbs up and I gave one back.

"Now let's meet our dancers!" The crowd cheered as we ran out. We stood in our group's girls and boys the principal standing in front of us microphone in hands."Okay dancers," he said after crowd quieted." Girls, over here I want two even lines and Boys over here and same thing two even lines. We did as asked. I stood in the second row. I could see Lucas in the front row. I watched as one of the backstage worker changed his hand help microphone for one to go on his suit then handed the principal two hats filled with paper. "The girls will draw a name from the hat to find out their partner then they will pick a style of dance."

I watched as he went to the girls in the first row first. Stopping for a commercial break after the first row. Lucas still hadn't been chosen. But those who had left to the seats on the side of the studio put just for us. Enough couches to sit all of us. We came back from commercial and he went one putting the hat on in front of the girls. I was in the middle and every time he got closer letting a girl pick out a name my heart raced.

If I didn't get Lucas, I'd still love to dance with them. But I'd like to get Lucas, I won't have any problem getting to know them. Getting used to dancing with them and making sure I'm still on the same levels.

"Skylar Harrison." Principal Clayton said as he put the hat in front of me. The crowd cheered and I glanced at Lucas. He showed me that his fingers were crossed. Maybe he felt the same about dancing with a new person too. Besides Mia, Bitch, Baker we're the only ones from our school."Who will be your partner?" He said.

I put my hand in and grabbed the first small sheet of folded paper. I pulled it out and opened it. Relief flew over me."Lucas Kenedy." I said. 

"Woah!" He pumped his fist up in the air and ran over to me picking me up spinning me around for a moment. The crowd continued to cheer.

"Okay!" Lucas let me down as the principal spoke."Okay!" He stood side by side as he held up the other hat.Lucas put his hand in and pulled out a sheet of paper."Your style of dance this week is..."

"Broadway." He showed it to the crowd like the others did. The crowd cheered.

"Alright Skylar and Lucas dancing Broadway next week for our live show." She ran over to the sitting area and we watched as they finished off pairing everyone. Andy was paired with a boy named Keith. When everyone had their partners we watched performances of students who attend the school now. A few solos, a couple small groups. Then the big one. It was truly amazing.

This school...this school will let me win my dream. I just have to make it 12 more weeks.