Dance

I walked through the doors of my house and there they stood, mad, disappointed. I dropped my keys on the side table. "Skylar Rose Harrison." Oh boy. First, middle, and last. They really mean it. "Care to explain this." I looked around the corner at the flat screen to see it paused on Lucas and me dancing during our boot camp hip-hop dance.

They watched it...and they still didn't care. Didn't see how I was actually smiling. I was actually happy. Something I've never been in this house. I've walked around stressed and tired all the time for years and they still don't see me. "It's me, dancing." I said. I walked passed them on my way to the kitchen.

"Why?" I heard my mother asked me. "I thought you stopped dancing when you were twelve." I pulled down a bowl and just looked at my mother.

"No, Mom I never stopped dancing. I stopped dancing at a studio when I was thirteen because you forced me."

"We agreed that-"

"No mom, you forced me. Both of you said dancing was for kids. You told me to grow up."

"Skylar what about your future?" My father asked. "Everything you want. Everything you've been planning for. You're going to sacrifice for...for dance." I poured my cereal in the bowl. My parents know nothing about me. Then again they never did. They've put it in their head everything they've forced me to do I wanted. It's worse than knowing they forced me. "Skylar?" I slammed the box on the counter and just looked at my parents.

"You don't know me. You really don't know anything." I stepped around the island close to them. "I've been dancing since I could walk. I been dancing in Lyla's home studio and the school studio in secret for years. I don't want to be a Doctor or a Lawyer. I hate science. I hate math. I hate History. I drank five cups of coffee so I don't fall asleep in class and fail a class considering the last time that happened you yelled at me for hours and grounded me. Why would I tell you I was dancing again. Why would I tell you anything going on in my life when all you care about is what you want for me and not what I want for myself. Not to point out the obvious but you only care about Chase." I went to the fridge and grabbed the milk.

"That's not true honey we love you. We want what's best for you. Dancing is not what's best."

"Stop!" I put the milk down and slammed the fridge."If you want's what's best for me you'd want me to be happy. Before this competition I was miserable. I've been bullied since 9th grade. Chase isn't the brother I remember because you turned him into your robot. I'm finally happy after years. If you would just look at the freaking show and watch me dance you'd see that for once."

"How did you even get the okay to go on TV? You're under eighteen." my father said.

"I forged your signature like I have been doing since I was ten."

"That's not okay. Why didn't you just talk to us."

"YOU NEVER LISTEN! You listen to Chase, the golden child, that's it. Most of the time It's like I'm not even here. I'm hungry. I've got homework and I've got things to do. I swear to god, if you try and pull me out of the competition I'm going to get Lyla's parents to adopt me and you'll never see me again." After putting the milk back I left. I heard them arguing as walked up the stairs. I reached my room and closed the door. I took in a deep breath.

I've never stood up to my parents like that before. It felt good. Feels good still. That chain that was once around me is gone.

But I'm not kidding. If they try to pull me out of the competition I'm moving in with Lyla. I looked through my closet and got a black sports bra, a shirt with cut off arms to about my waist, a pair of black leggings and my black high top vans with the white line. I put all of it on a then grabbed my laptop.