Chapter Twenty-seven

Rayne White,

Finals coming up, graduation around the corner and I'm stressed. These finals ain't no joke, to be able to work your ass off all semester and then let that damn final exam fuck it all up, is a killer. But what am I going to get August for graduation? Can't go to ya boyfriend's graduation empty handed, can you? Don't matter if you can or not; I'm get him something.

"Excuse me ma'am, you got a man?" August asked coming up behind me in the cafe.

"Why is it any of your business?" I responded before stepping closer since the line finally decided to move.

All I want is something to drink. The vending machines don't have what I want and I have class pretty soon. Plus I'm fat, I'm not about to walk across that street and walk back for class.

"Just a question."

"Yep, I have a boyfriend." I said looking up at him.

"Mm, well I'm tryna be ya manfriend. So what's good witchu?"

"See, I don't think my man will accept that. But I'll be sure to tell that you want to be his friend." I said stepping to the counter. "Can I get a cup."

"So just a drink?" The girl working the counter asked.

"Yeah, just a drink."

"Mm okay." She said typing on the screen. "You want anything Aug?" She added.

"Nah. My baybeh just wanted her drink." He replied.

"Oh, so you choose her. That's crazy." She said with an eye roll. "You total is $2.55."

I got my card out but August was already handing her, his card.

"There." She said placing the cup in the counter in stead of my hand that was extended.

"You either gone cut the attitude. Or you gone get ya shit handed to you. You pick. Keep with the disrespect and watch ya shit get pushed back." August said giving her the craziest look.

"Baby stop. Don't worry about it." I said picking up the cup.

He took the cup out my hands and sat it right back down.

"Hand it to her."

She glared at him while picking the cup up. She extended her hand to mines and gentle handed it to me.

"Thank you." I said while trying to grab August and walk off to the drink machine.

"Whatchu lookin' like that foe? What you gon' get ya bitch-ass brotha?" He asked with his accident coming out stronger and stronger with every word.

Not about to lie, this kinda a turn on. Also, I'm kinda of worried. I don't want him getting into any trouble this close to graduating.

"August, stop. Calm down, she not worth it baby." I said stepping in front of him. I pulled his head down to look me in the eyes. I needed him to see just how serious I am at the moment.

"Okay." He said grabbing my hand.

We walked over to the drink machine and like usual, most of their drinks was out.

"All this money and they shit never work." August said while shaking his head. "I'm not catching why them small ass 12oz cups cost damn near three dollars and you only get to choose from like four drink choices out of eight."

"Did you see how much the meals cost?" I asked while putting a little ice in my cup.

Resting my hand in my cheek, I looked at the choices I was left with.

"Don't even. I stayed on campus my first three years here. So I payed for a meal plan all those years and only ate the cafe the first semester. It's almost as if they know it's your first semester. Food was good as hell that first semester; second on the other hand. The most nastiest shit I ever tasted. I literally hoped on a job and ordered pizza like every day."

"Why pizza everyday?" I asked while finally deciding on sprite mixed with pink lemonade mixed with fruit punch.

"Cheap and I didn't have my car. Plus I don't really trust ordering Chinese. I need to be in the restaurant with they asses. Not ordering Mexican, you have to eat that as soon as it comes out the kitchen. Pretty much feel that way about all other places. You can order pizza though. They have your food to you in a certain time or it's free. So, I slide on giving the the wrong address shit but like a number or letter. My shit was late, my shit was free."

"You was a con artist baby." I said while putting a straw in my drink. I threw my trash away and started heading to the library.

"Thank you." He said taking my drink out my hand. "I won't no damn con artist. They wanted to damn much money for simple shit."

"You got any more classes?"

"Last professor canceled. So I'm done for the day."

"I have like one more class. Then it's just cramming from this point on. Have to get ready for these final exams."

"We only going into April. So, you need to stop stressing. Finals is the end of April to the beginning of May. Your birthday coming up before all that. That's what you need to be stressing about. What you want?"

"I don't celebrate my birthday. These finals are way more import. What do you want for graduation?"

"Top secret but I'm sure you'll figure it out." He said while taking me book from me. "What's this?" He asked while flipping the book all over.

"Something I was gifted from a professor." I said taking it back out his hands.

"What professor gifting you shit?"

"My English professor heard what happened. So, she gave me this book. Something she wrote a while ago." I said putting it back in my book-bag.

"Hm what is it about?" He asked.

"Haven't read it yet." I said while shrugging my shoulders.

"Why not? Ya ass always reading in ya damn free time."

"I haven't had much free time. I told you finals is a lot."

"Baybeh, you stressing for nothing. I've told you before. You the smartest person I know. If anybody can pass these finals with no stress it's you. I got money more on you rather than the Asian kids."

"Goodbye August." I said while pulling out my history notebook.

"I'm serious baybeh. Plus, I'm not going anywhere. I'm walk you to class. High school shit, ya feel me."

All I can do is shake my head. Be a whole ass nut. It's hard to know when he actually joking because his ass always serious even when it sound like he on bullshit.