Chapter 24

Naomi's pov

Jack gently laid Selene on his bed. We stood around, staring down at her. Slender, Masky, and Hoodie were here too. They had gotten back before us and were shocked by our return.

"So that's what her face looks like," Jeff stated out of the blue.

"She always kept it hidden," I explained. "She's blind in her left eye."

Jack nodded slightly. "She showed me... the night you two got together."

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "She must really trust you. I was the only one she freely showed her face to."

"Now, if only she'd open her eyes," Jack mumbled. "I still haven't been able to tell her..."

A sigh escaped my lips. Jeff scooted closer and wrapped an arm around my waist. I let it slide, too depressed to care. My eyes grew wet with tears at the thought of losing Selene.

Jack pressed two fingers against her neck. "Her heartbeat is very faint."

"And I cannot hear any thoughts in her mind," Slender added. "I suppose all we can do is wait and see if she recovers."

Slender and the proxies left the room. Jack sat beside Selene on the edge of the bed. He carefully took her hand in his own.

"Is there really nothing more we can do?" I questioned, my eyes blurry from the tears I was holding back.

Jack slowly shook his head, his face never turning away from the unconscious girl. "Unfortunately, no. I just feel so... useless. I shouldn't have let her go on her own."

"Don't blame yourself," Jeff said. "It's not your fault. If anyone's to blame, it's those damn scientists. At least we got rid of them once and for all."

I nodded in agreement. I glanced at a clock, realizing how late it was getting. I let out a frustrated sigh.

"I guess we'll head on to bed," I told the masked man. "Just... let me know if anything happens."

He nodded. "I will."

I took Jeff by the arm and left. We got changed and went straight to Jeff's room. I found myself snuggled up against the white-skinned man under the covers of his bed. Sorrow was all I could feel right now, and for once, Jeff actually brought a small bit of comfort.

"Don't worry, Naomi, Selene will pull through," he said, lightly rubbing my back. "Just get some sleep."

I simply nodded. I had my doubts, but I really want to believe him. I closed my teary eyes, letting Jeff's warmth lull me to sleep.

Jack's pov

I left the room momentarily to get changed. It pained my heart to enter my room and see Selene still unconscious. I just want her to wake up.

I sat beside her again and took my mask off, placing it on my bedside table. I sighed and stared down at her with a frown. I slowly leaned down and rested my forehead against hers.

"Selene, I know you probably can't hear me, but I just want you to know that I'll be staying right here with you until I see you open your eyes. Just... please be okay."

I pressed my lips against her forehead, letting them linger there before pulling away. I got up and shifted Selene a bit, placing her under the covers. I carefully climbed in beside her.

I checked her pulse again. It was still faint. I signed and drifted off. I woke up many times throughout the night, checking Selene's pulse each time. It never changed.

I began to wonder if she was gonna make it. She didn't seem to be getting any better. I was starting to fear for the worst. The following day was very dull. Everyone was quiet and in a depressed mood, especially Naomi.

Jeff tried to comfort her or get her mind off of it, but nothing seemed to help. Naomi would only snap at him or remain silent. I often checked on Selene, hoping to see some improvement. But of course, nothing seemed to change.

It wasn't until late that night that I found something was wrong. I rushed out of my room and straight to Jeff's, frantically knocking on the door.

Naomi's pov

Jeff got out of bed with a low groan. I sat up and yawned, seeing Jeff open the door to reveal Jack.

"Guys, something's wrong," he said with panic. "Selene's pulse is getting weaker."

I almost instantly jumped out of bed and pushed past the two. I rushed down the hall to Jack's room. I barged in and hurried to the girl's side, the two men following close behind.

I placed two fingers against her neck, feeling for myself. Her heartbeat was very faint and each beat was getting farther apart.

"She's... dying," I muttered. I broke out in tears. "No! This can't be happening!"

I grabbed onto her hand and clutched it tightly in my own. Jack did the same with her other hand. I noticed a black liquid dripping from under his mask. I didn't have to question it, I knew he was crying too.

"Selene, you can't go!" I cried out, tears running down my face. "I need you here! Your family needs you here! They're forever trapped without you!"

"What am I supposed to do if you leave?!" Jack shouted. "There is so much that I never got to say to you! So much left undone! Please, don't leave me yet!"

Jeff leaned down next to me, clenching his fists. "Come on, where's that fighting spirit we witnessed back when we met you?! You never gave up on anything before, so why start now?!"

I was a bit surprised at his outburst. I assumed he was just making stuff up, but the determination in his eyes gave him away. He really was worried about her too.

"Come back to us, Selene," I quietly said.

Selene's pov

I drifted through the endless void. All was dark. I was completely alone. Seems my soul is drifting farther and farther away from my body.

I eventually saw other people in the distance. Upon getting closer, more began to appear before me. There were so many ranging from infants and toddlers to the elderly.

None of them paid me any mind as I passed them by. There was no discrimination here. It felt nice, to finally feel like I belong. A smile crept across my lips and I closed my eyes. I never realized before how peaceful it was here.

"Selene, you can't go!"

I snapped my eyes open at the familiar voice. Naomi?

"I need you here! Your family needs you here! They're forever trapped without you!"

My eyes widened. She's right. My family is still trapped. How can I move on knowing that they can't?

"What am I supposed to do if you leave?!" Jack's voice rang out this time. "There is so much that I never got to say to you! So much left undone! Please, don't leave me yet!"

I was torn between letting my soul rest for eternity and going back to finish everything I started.

"Come on, where's that fighting spirit we witnessed back when we met you?!" I flinched slightly at Jeff's voice. "You never gave up on anything before, so why start now?!"

He's right. They're all right. I can't give up here. I have to go back. There is too much left unfinished. I turned around toward the sounds of their voices. I began struggling to go back, making my way past the people around me.

"Come back to us, Selene," Naomi's voice quietly said.

Naomi, I'm coming back. I'm not ready to leave just yet. So hang on, don't give up. I'll return to you as quickly as I can. That, my friend, is a promise.