At shock from his outburst, I hardly knew what to say.

Instead of my mind flicking to emotions, it turned to logic, and I pointed out softly, "Actually, the police couldn't do anything to me considering I gave back the books without any damage and I have the money to pay so I can-"

"I am done, with you borrowing books from my library," He growled in a building voice that seemed to be hanging from a thread, "I want you to leave this instant. And this time, do not, come back."

Though his words stung, I could only blink and take a deep breath before sighing and looking at him with determined eyes.

There was no way I was giving up this library.

This was the only one in the city that could erase my searching records, leaving my book trail and knowledge hidden from those who could abuse it.

I had already asked Jeeves if he could help me on this, and once he agreed I knew I would always be on the edge with him.

At first, I had thought it was worth it.

But now, I am guilty for everything I had ever asked him.

Except it didn't stop there, and I looked him in the crinkled eyes as I requested, "Sir... I understand your anger, but I am willing to negotiate. Something I can do, something I can help with just ask! Please sir, this library is like my home... I need it."

Jeeves studied my honesty for a moment of hesitation, and I thought too hopefully on his actions before he turned away and growled, "I will give you three seconds to state your deal, and it will be final."

Joy seeped into my heart and I had to hold myself back from smiling so I looked as if I was taking this seriously.

Straightening my posture quickly and holding my head high, I stated my deal.

"I only check out one book and bring it back the moment I finish, obeying the dead line. This way, I won't forget or take a long while to read them. And you will have your books twice as fast for others to enjoy and read. That way, there is no long waits."

He was thinking about my offer, and I smiled slightly to myself as I thought of how silly it was of me to come up with this deal now, instead of earlier.

Yet just in case, I slid two fingers into my jean pocket, touching my library  card to make sure that it would stay there.

Finally, Jeeves let out a long grumble and continued on with his cart as he said, "We have an agreement, Miss Frisk, you pay your fines today and we shall start a new. Though I will keep a sharp eye on you."

With his warning noted, I tried not to leap for joy as I handed him the money and we walked our separate ways.

I had won over the old librarian, and I let my smile shine as I investigated the books, searching for something that would keep my mind distracted and occupied.

When I had sat down at a circular wooden table, a book in my hands, I smiled more and let my eyes drift across the words on the page, drinking in every sentence and thought that came into my mind.

That's when I suddenly felt a presence behind me, and my smile fell into a blank gaze as I continued to stare at the page. Even though I was looking over the words, I wasn't reading them, and I had the sudden urge to turn around and face Jeeves, yet I didn't, and I set my open book down and asked, "Can I help you?"

Except instead of Jeeves's raspy voice to answer me, there was an oddly familiar one that replied, "No, well... Not now that is. Perhaps some other time."

Mafiatale - An Eye For An Eye (SansxFrisk)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara