Chapter 18:

*Third POV*

Sans and Frisk were both silent as they drove through the city, each looking out a different window to avoid looking at each other.

The tension in the air wasn't helping anything, and Frisk could hear their soft breathing and almost stopped from how loud she thought it was.

As Sans drove, Frisk thought of how they could possibly find Johnathan.

She already knew that the bar tender was their target, yet she didn't understand how that man could possibly know where one of Cortex's most elite assassins would be.

Even if he did, how would they capture him?

It angered her to look at Sans, who appeared to know exactly what he was doing.

Frisk was supposed to be the one that knows everything.

He shouldn't know more than she did.

Frisk almost laughed at these thoughts and clenched her jaw to keep it down, aware that Sans was right next to her, waiting for her to do something.

However, she was waiting for him to do something, so they both sat in silence with the awkward tension just growing in the air.

Finally, Sans couldn't take the tension anymore, and he said quite loudly, "So ready to interrogate a bar tender, dolly?"

At the sound of his voice, Frisk jumped and looked at him with surprise, a hand at her chest. She let out a sigh of relief and her eyes turned cold with annoyance.

"Gosh Sans, warn me next time you speak."

"To warn ya I've gotta talk kid," He chuckled and looked at her with a smug grin, "And you didn't answer my question."

Frisk growled and thought to herself, 'Will he ever change?'

Yet she didn't say it out loud, and she replies sharply, "Yes, I'm ready. Except we don't even know if he knows anything! How will we even catch Johnathan? What's our plan Sans?"

"Geez dolly don't get all technical with me. Gabriel is one of the greatest information finders on the planet. The only problem is he doesn't like working with teams, everything he does comes with a price." 

Sans glanced at Frisk from under his fedora, and she looked out the front window at the other cars ahead of them,  mumbling softly, "So your plan is to pay him?"

"No. We're doing this my way kid, and money's got nothing to do with it."

Sans shifted gears and began driving his way around the cars, making his way through traffic with slick speed. Frisk gasped and fell back in her seat, watching him and listening to the cars honking at them.

She decided she didn't need to say much about it so she stayed silent as they drove through the city.

Soon, a large rickety building came into view, the sign broken and flickering, the words reading: "Card's Tables."

Frisk repeated the words, and Sans paid no attention to her as they parked in front of the brick building, other cars around them.

When they got out of the car, Sans shoved the keys into his pocket and began walking to the door, Frisk close behind.

She glanced to her left and could see the Avalon Library only a few blocks away. It sickened her to think of how close a bar was to a library, and she gulped down her disgust and questioned, "How come I never noticed this bar here before..."

Sans shrugged and placed a hand on the metal handle of the door, grinning at her as he replied, "Don't ask me. I'm not you."

When he turned the handle and opened the door, Frisk already hated the place.