4 3 : f o r g i v e n e s s · a n d · c h a n g e

Amber: 

Amber: 

The city of Fres was quite similar to its sister city Subosa. Fres's Spring village still had the lingering perfume, and the scent of that too sweet, light hearted fragrance made my stomach clench in disgust. 

It didn't help that the perfume made me remember Auora. As I turned a corner, I caught a glimpse of someone that had been following me for a few hours now. 

I continued into an alleyway and waited. As soon as the hooded figure strolled past, I lept out, tackling the stalker to the ground. 

When the hood fell away, I froze, "Sebastian," I half hissed, my dagger inches from his heart. 

The Prince gave me a weak smile, "A pleasure, Amberly, but could you please get off me? I don't think it's a puddle of rainwater my butt is currently in."

I rolled off and stood, leaning against the wall as I watched him climb to his feet. True to his word, a patch of his cloak was a mysterious dark stain against the black fabric. 

Sebastain unbuttoned his cloak, and gently set the bundle of fabric on an abandoned crate, for the poor to take. 

"Where are you going anyway?" He asked, walking toward where I was. 

"What are you doing here?" I frowned, suspicious. 

He sighed, "Auora told me of  your plans and said that she wanted me to follow you, and make sure you didn't get yourself killed." Auora was still looking out for me, even after what I had done. 

"How- how is she?" I manged to get out, holding back a sob. 

He looked at me, considering, and I was just about to beg him for answers when he said, "She's recovering back at Acacia and... forgives you."

I began walking, doing anything to get away from the alley whose walls began to make me feel like suffocating. 

Sebastian trailed after me in silence, and said nothing as I asked for a room in an inn. The prince followed me so silently I almost forgot he was still there. The small inn room could fit both of us, and I plopped on the bed, dropping my messenger bag near the pillow. He shut the door and leaned against the door, waiting. 

"Why?" I asked at last, my voice cracking slightly, "Why did she chose to forgive me, after... everything?"

Sebastian pulled out a wrinkled, but unopened letter from his satchel, "She wrote you a long fancy letter why." 

He tossed it to me and I broke the seal, my fingers running over Auora's neat penmanship. 

Amber,

Amber,

Why I forgave you is for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, I supposed you redeemed yourself when you used the Lover's wand to heal me instead of leaving me... what I could've been. And I suppose this shows that I was wrong, You can change, and I hope my brother will bring out the best in you, which is why I sent him to go with you. Seb can be trusted.

Find your sister- Avelyn can help you. She can cure you of your magic... and she can help vanquish the evil in this land predicted by the Prophesy. You can't do this by yourself, Amberly, and you know it. Last but not least, I hope you find happiness... with my brother, and I hope to see you again as a changed person. 

Best wishes, 
Auora. 

I looked up at Sebastian, who observed me with a closed off expression. "What do you know about me?" 

He cocked his head at the question, "Auora told me you were her best friend as children, and you're Princess Amberly of the Fall Realm. You use dark magic, and as a result, you're haunted by this. The voices in your head are a pain. You push away others so you won't be able to hurt them, and they won't be able to hurt you. You are very emotional when you want it to be, and as a result , you lose grip on your magic when that happens."

I blinked, "She told you all of that?" 

"I inferred half of it." 

"Oh." 

I broke eye contact and stared at the floorboards, though I could still feel Sebastian's gaze digging into me.

"You lied," Sebastian suddenly accused. My eyes jumped back to his, "What?" 

"You lied to Auora. You can't vanquish the evil because you are the essence of the evil." 

I kept a blank face, my heart pounding wildly as I calmly said, "I don't know what you're talking about." 

The prince advanced toward me, but I didn't let him see, didn't let him smell my fear, as he loomed over me. "You're going to cause the end of the world, aren't you?" 

I stayed silent. 

"Aren't you?" He pressed. I realized that the shadows were quiet once more. I could still feel them there, but it was like they were muted and forgotten, tucked away in a corner of my mind. Whatever Sebastian was doing, he was doing it right. 

"Amberly," Sebastian murmured gently, "please, let me help you." 

He took a seat next to the bed, "Please." That word broke something in me, and for the first time in a while, I let a tear fall. "You sure about that?" I asked so quietly he might have missed it if he wasn't paying attention. 

Sebastian took my hand in his, "Very sure." 

So, I began.