1 8 : l o v e · a n d · f e a r

Ella:

I bolted pass the guards and into the nearest bathroom, barely making it to the toilet where I threw up the meager breakfast I had. Lord Paris- the High Prince of the Winter Realm was after my stepsisters, not to mention the bloodthirsty Summer prince I called my husband. 

"Ella." Raymond's rough voice seemed unsure, unsteady, but didn't move to help me. Making sure my stomach was settled, I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and stood up shakily, "Morning sickness," I fibbed, my eyes averted, and my cheeks burning- the way he liked girls.

"Sweetheart-" I almost gagged on the words, "- we'll catch them soon, won't we?" I replied, my eyes struggling with the effort to keep the tears in. 

"Of course, my love." Raymond kissed my cheek gently, "But we have to attend Court in a hour, so.. get ready." I didn't need to be reminded that I was reeking of vomit. Thankfully, Raymond left me alone, going off do whatever he was doing, and I slipped out of the bathroom and toward my bedchambers. 

My maids rushed to me as soon as I opened the door to my room but I just ordered calmly, "Please draw a bath for me, and choose a dress for Court. That will be all." 

Lucy and Jayce nodded and bustled off as I strolled to the balcony, feeling the warm sun hugging the trees and plants, seeing the too beautiful scenery, too serene to be real. 

As soon as the maids left, I began to strip as I walked toward the steaming tub. Climbing in- the heat wrapped around me like a warm embrace, and I settled into it, letting a sigh of pleasure escape my lips. 

As the tears I held back began to fall, I thought of Evelyn's bravery, of Amber's firey anger, of my beloved out in the dangerous seas, fighting a shadow to protect the rest of the land, and of my deceased parents. 

But the warm water drew those thoughts and my feelings away, as my eyes began to slide shut, bringing me to a land of happiness.

~

A hurried knock dragged me out of my nap. Heaving a well deserved sigh, I stood up from the now lukewarm water, letting the gently summer breeze kiss my bare skin. Reaching for a towel to wrap around my body, I then opened the door. 

Raymond was standing there in all his finery, his mouth opened to say something, when he saw me. His gaze raked my body hungrily, like I was a feast he were to devour, and cleared his throat, "Court is in fifteen minutes. Be ready in ten."

Then, he leaned in to me, and whispered in my ear, "I'll make it up to you, tonight." 

His comment sent shivers down my spine, and my thoughts were once again dragged to James. As my maid combed and blow dried my hair, my mind took me to the night before the ball. 

"James?" I called quietly into the night. "Ella?" James's deep voice sounded close by. I lit a match and held it up, "James?" I called again. 

"Right here, princess." He replied, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. I stiffed a gasp of surprise, but the surprise was forgotten as soon as he smiled at me. 

"James," I breathed, reaching out to touch his arm, to make sure it wasn't a dream. He chuckled, "Oh Ella, is my name the only thing you can say? Because I wouldn't mind that at all, trust me." 

I squeezed him into a hug, "I missed you so much, you prick." 

James gently pushed me away and tilted my chin up, "I missed you like hell too, princess." Then, he kissed me gently, as if he too was afraid it was but a dream. I threw myself on him, returning the kiss with the force of my happiness I was now experiencing.