3 3 : b r a v e r y · a n d · s t u p i d i t y

Amber: 

Vona was a place of ash and destruction, but this did not deter me. Auora put a hand on my wrist, and I blinked, but didn't pull away, "Amber," she whispered, her eyes dancing from each shadow to rubble, "Are you sure this is where the thing is?" 

With any other person, I might have used sarcasm, but Auora... I nodded, "Yeah, why do you look so uneasy?" Auora held her shawl closer to her body, "Amber, this place feels... uneasy. Must we spend the night here?" 

As if in response, our horses threw their head back and let out a snicker, as if saying, spend the night? there is no way we're going in that.

I nudged my mare forward, and it reluctantly trotted forward. Auora followed behind, her mare as enthusiastic as the rider.  

The sun had just set when we reached what used to be the outskirts of Vona. The crumbling gates did nothing to assure the Spring Princess. Auora looked even more unsettled when I created a glowing orb of purple that lit the abandoned and ruined streets. In the distance, a few dogs barked aggressively and a wolf howl was heard. 

Even I was unsettled, but I didn't dare let it show. "Amberly, when can we go?" Auora begged, her fingers grasping my wrist. "Please." She added, for emphasis.

Something in my chest twisted at those words, but I told her softly, yet firmly, "We can't. Not yet." 

Auora's crestfallen expression twisted the knot tighter and I felt my self loathing grow. And then, my breath hitched, "Auora, do you feel that?" 

The tingly scent of magic hit us hard enough that our horses staggered a few steps back. We exchanged a glance, and I urged my mare into a gallop towards the source. Not far behind, Auora followed, if only not to be kept in the darkness. As the presence of magic intensified, I gently tugged the reins and the horse began to trot. 

Throwing the orb into the air, I watched it whirl and whirl and until it swerved and darted right. Auora sucked in her breath as I roughly yanked my horse and urged it after the orb. And then, fifty feet away, the orb paused, and hovered in place. My spirits soared and I urged the mare toward the orb. 

And then, I saw it. 

The Lover's Wand layed like a star among the debris, shimmering brightly. Auora whispered, "Holy shit," from  behind as I hopped off my mare and knelt down in front of the wand. Upon closer inspection, a decayed corpse clenched the wand. With a wave of my hand, my magic gently untangled the dead body's fingers from the wand and I picked it up. 

Immediately, I felt a strong wave of power hit me. I smiled, and from behind me, Auora peeped, "Who is that?"

I looked away only reluctantly, enchanted by the wand, "That's..." My voice fell away as I beheld the rings and the necklace around the skeleton. "What?" Urged Auora, stepping closer. 

"That's Helena. Duchess of Vona." I mumbled, suddenly feeling panicked. Auora read the panic in my voice and ran back to her mare and jumped on. I followed in suit, stuffing the wand in the satchel  and leaping on my mare as well. We wasted no time urging our horses into a full gallop, feeling the eerie winds tear through our hair. 

Just as the crumbling gates, wide open in front of us came in sight, they slammed shut with a loud creak. Sensing our urgency and our panic, the horses sped up. Then, two yard from the shut gates, the mares lept and to my unending shock, shimmering white wings flared out from their skin and they beat the mighty membranes, sending us barely grazing the spikes at the top. 

The horses' hooves touched the ground just as a loud, furious roar splintered the air. 

After April, or rather, after I finish my goal for camp NaNo (3,800 words left, woot woot), I'm going to have an update schedule, which will most likely be weekly as my motivation to write really depends on my hectic schedule. Stay alert for further updates!