Chapter Six

Finally, it was Miami Beach time.

I had been snoring cozily, burrowed under my fluffy sheets when Anna came into the room and dolphin dived onto the bed, directly on top of me. It took every ounce of my self control to keep from lashing out and screaming, so I settled with releasing an awkward yelp.

She bounced off and sighed. "Bea!" she whined. "Come on!"

I groaned and let out an eerie screech as Anna drew back the curtains, allowing the sun's rays to flood the room. "Satan!" I hissed, rolling away from the ridiculously bright light and squinting at her from over my shoulder.

"I try," she said easily with a shrug. If she could look like an emoji, it would be the one that was grinning gently to itself.

{ 😌 }

After my eyes adjusted to the sudden change, I glanced outside and saw that the sun was just beginning to stretch above the horizon, illuminating the sky in a vast array of pastels.

"Anna, it's not even a new day yet. This is dawn."

"Exactly! By the time we get to the beach, it'll be day!"

"I thought you said the beach was twenty minutes away?"

"Yeah, but you need a bathing suit don't you? Since I'm driving, I need time to run to the store and grab one for you. What's your size?"

"Medium." I paused. "Wait, I can buy it myself."

Her words were accompanied with an exasperated roll of her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. You're a big kid, I know. But knowing you, you'll probably choose some shapeless lump to wear."

Before I could even begin to protest, she was throwing clothes at me and vanishing out the door.

I sighed defeatedly, and ran into the bathroom to get ready. She had tossed me a plain white t-shirt and jean shorts, and I sighed once again as I strapped on my sandals. "Anna. This really isn't necessary."

She placed her hands on her hips indignantly. "It's okay. I like to buy things for my friends anyway; keeps me sane. Besides, I have to spend all my money somehow."

All my money? How much money did she have? My cheeks burned in shame; here I was on a scholarship, and just by looking at Professor Snow's intensity, that scholarship may not last long and I'll be forced to take a semester off just to be able to pay for my tuition. Forget about room and board.

That reminded me. Why was it that Anna and Percy had sports cars? Was that a norm here? Was I the only one poor enough to be forced to rely heavily on a scholarship I barely got?

I glanced up, and spotted Anna leaning against the wall, waiting on me. She seemed deep in thought, staring curiously at the floor.

"Anna?" I said lowly, though it came out as more of a question.

She turned, smiling wide. "All ready to go?"

Nodding, I stood, exhaling quietly. "Are you rich?" I blurted. I blushed from the bottom of my chin up to my hairline.

She blinked. "I mean, uh, kinda?" She laughed dryly. "It's a little complicated."