Chapter Four

^Percy

So much for running, I thought.

My eyes burned as I grabbed my bag and stumbled out of the room. Anna said she had to run to Sam's room because she had forgotten her phone yesterday, so I was left with the difficult task of walking alone to class.

I opened the door and squeaked, rubbing my eyes as I glared at Percy, who was waiting for me outside.

She certainly looked like she had gotten plenty of sleep last night.

She turned and blasted a high powered beam of a smile in my direction when she heard my sound of surprise. "Good morning sunshine!"

Who the heck was this peppy in the mornings?

"Hey Percy," I grumbled, and walked past her. She caught up easily - as an exhausted turtle, I could only move so fast - and sent another radiant smile in my direction.

"Ready for class?" She asked, and I watched her through slitted eyes.

"Why are you so excited?" I asked, though it came out as more of a whine. "What are you trying to swindle me out of?"

"Into," she corrected. I arched a brow. "There's a party this Friday, and I would be ecstatic if you came."

Ecstatic? Do people even say that anymore? I pretended to give it some thought. "Well, maybe..." I paused, then added flatly, "No."

Her eyebrows drew together in a low frown and she stuck out her bottom lip in a pout. "Pretty please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"Nope."

"Pretty please with a cherry on top?"

Was she a child? "Absolutely not."

"Why not come?"

"Why go anyway?"

"What if I buy you ice cream beforehand?"

"Hmm...that's tempting."

"Really?"

"No."

She sighed, crossing her arms. "You're no fun Bea."

I rolled my eyes. "Why not ask one of your other billion friends?"

She poked out her lips. "I don't have a billion other friends, but the ones I do have are all busy." She sighed. "One is hanging out with her boyfriend, and the other is a very bad drunk. She cries about everything."

I raised a brow. "So you're saying you want to get me drunk? I don't drink."

Percy flushed. "No, you don't have to drink! I don't drink either, but s-she does, so..."

I laughed. "It's okay, I'm just not a big fan of parties."

She looked like she wanted to protest but decided not to test her luck any further. I was kind of happy though, the teasing and arguing between us had definitely woken me up and improved my mood tenfold.

As if she read my mind, Percy bumped her shoulder against mine. "Feeling better?"

I nodded, smiling. She grinned, and we continued into the classroom. She hesitated, trying to choose between sitting with me or one of her friends and I reassured her that I was fine. Anna would - or should - be here soon anyhow.

But Anna never showed up so I had to sit and listen to Ms. Snow alone. Percy waited for me and bugged me about the party all the way to her car, which she had led me to without my realization. She swung the door as wide as the grin on her face and gestured for me to climb in; I did nothing of the sort, and eyed her warily.