Chapter 20

"Pick up, pick up," Dan repeated as he held the phone to his ear. He pinched the bridge of his nose. His patience diminished with each tap.

You stood near him, texting Phil various messages telling him to respond to you or Dan's calls. "We should check the security footage of where he last went."

"I can send someone to do it," the radio producer said. He glanced at his watch. "Don't want either of you to be late."

Dan set an alarm on his phone. "We'll be back in a few minutes." He grabbed your hand and headed toward to the security room.

You struggled to catch up with his strides. His grip on your hand was tighter than usual. As if he was nervous that you would soon disappear as well.

His knuckles resounded on the door. A few moments later the door opened to reveal a room filled with monitors. He immediately spoke to one of the security guards. "Can you look up where Phil Lester was last seen? We think he might've been headed to the restroom."

Your phone buzzed in your pocket. You slipped it out wordlessly and glanced at the screen. It was a picture of Phil from Phil's own phone. A second text arrived soon after. It read 'This is just a warning. Break up with Dan.'

"Is that Phil?" Dan asked you.

You turned off the screen quickly pocketed your phone. You shook your head. "I hope we find him soon."

Dan's alarm rang, beckoning for you and Dan to return to the studio. Dan informed the security guard of your departure and told him to inform him of any updates on Phil's location.

You let Dan hold your hand as you strode back to the studio, but didn't return his grip. The text confused you in many ways. It was highly possible that the text came from Suzy, but you and Dan weren't yet an official couple. If Suzy was just an out-of-control individual obsessed about Dan then there would have been no need for a pseudonym with your character's name. You slowly returned his grip.

When you two arrived at the studio, Dan nearly strode into Phil's form.

"Phil?" Dan asked with a confused expression. "Where have you been?" His tone mimicked a worried mother that just found her lost child.

The person in question, Phil, rubbed his arm sheepishly. "I lost my phone. I tried to find it and that's why I ended up being late."

You ran up to Phil and wrapped your arms around him. "We thought something had happened to you!" You closed your eyes as the underlying panic seeped into your tone.

"Did something unusual happen for you to lose it?" Dan continued with his questions.

Phil patted your head as he replied to Dan. "Well, a girl did bump into me. I figured that I dropped it then."

Your eyes opened and you pulled back to look at Phil. "Did she have long brown hair?"

"Yes." Phil paused. "Do you think it's Suzy?"

"Yes." There was no hesitance in your voice.

"I'm sorry to say, but we still have a show to finish." The radio producer interrupted. "It would be best to keep appearances normal until you can talk to the police. We'll call them and you can talk to them when you're off air."

"I agree," Dan added.

You nodded with reluctance then headed back into the studio. You sat in the middle of three seats. Dan and Phil sat on either side of you. Everyone put on headphones and watched for the producer's hand signals.

After the three second countdown, Dan began with "And we're back! Guess who showed up?"

"Hi everyone," Phil sheepishly greeted. "I'm sorry for being late. My stomach wasn't cooperating with me today."

Dan laughed. "I'm sure everyone has these days."

------

A/N: A big thank you to everyone who favorited, commented, and added this story to their public reading lists! :)