Chapter 18

"What led you to writing?" Dan asked after a sip of champagne. "Can't believe I never asked you about this before."

You smiled at him. "It started in the third grade when we were given the assignment of creating a parody of a fairytale. My masterpiece was called 'Fish Cinderella'. I kept writing on the side but didn't take the risk to pursue it until much later on. I graduated university with a biology degree actually."

"Are you saying you could've been my doctor? Dr. Lester?" He winked at you.

You took a sip from your glass and noted the way a curl draped itself over his forehead. "Of course. What are your symptoms?"

"I think I'm lovesick. What should I do?" He reached over to take a hold of your hand.

"The best diagnosis is to spend time with who you love." You squeezed back his hand.

"I already am." No hesitation was in his voice.

You smiled at him shyly. A momentary warm pause passed between you two. "Nice to meet you, heart eyes Howell."

Dan chuckled. "Now you have to tell me, just how deep are you into the fandom?" He leaned forward with his chin on his hand.

Tucking a strand of hair behind your ear, you answered without meeting his eyes. "Not that much. Just some existential crises memes and a sprinkle of Dan memes." You brought your gaze back to him. "Watching your videos and seeing the more public side of you just further confirms how I feel about you." You traced circles into his hand with your thumb. "I like you a lot, Dan."

His eyes and smile became warmer like the gentle sun rays slowly bringing light into a room. "I like you a lot too, Y/N."

A pause.

"I'd ask why you became a Youtuber but I sort of already know why." Your giggle was like the breath of air that scattered dandelion on a sun kissed day. "Can you tell me something I wouldn't know? Perhaps your deepest darkest secrets, Dan Howell."

It was now Dan's turn to laugh. "Oh, there's so many awkward stories there." He sheepishly swirled around his fork. "Okay, this one time I left the front door to the apartment open and the neighbor's muddy dog strolled in. I played with it for an hour before hearing the neighbors and it turned out they were looking for it the entire time. May or may not have committed accidental dognapping."

The smile on your lips became cheeky. "Proof."

"You know the stain on the carpet near the stairs? It's a small mud print. The only proof of the impact the dog left on my heart."

"Oh, good. I'm glad it's that. I thought it was a poop stain from the outside or something."

"Poop?" Dan exclaimed and laughed harder. "Please, Y/N, neither Phil and I are that clumsy." He drank from his glass after a lengthy laugh.

Smiling at Dan, you rested your cheek on one hand. It felt as if you two were the only beings that existed in that sole moment. That you two had your own shared bubble that enraptured you with charm and laughs. You took a sip of water, feeling the warmth radiating off of your cheeks. Were you blushing or did you simply laugh too hard?

You couldn't tell.

------

A/N: Thank you to everyone who favorited, commented, and added this story to their public reading lists!