Chapter 19

"Are you sure doing this is the best idea?" Nathan asked as you put on a lanyard with a guest tag attached to it.

"I mean nothing has happened since so I think it's alright." You replied and flipped the tag's plastic holder, making sure the proper side was in the front. "Besides, my fans miss me. They've been left in the dark."

"If you need anything or notice that anything is off, don't hesitate to let me know." With a tired smile, Nathan patted your shoulder. "Seems like we might have time lunch after all." His gaze shifted to something behind you before returning to your eyes. "I'll talk to you later."

"Y/N," Dan's voice rang clear.

You turned around, now aware of your clammy hands.

"Have you seen Phil?" Dan asked as he texted something out on his cell.

"I haven't. Isn't the show starting in fifteen?"

"Yeah. Perhaps he's in the loo."

You giggled at his word choice. "We can wait for him in the studio."

Dan pocketed his phone before following you down the hall. "I hope he finishes soon and doesn't end up being late." He walked to the right side of you. His left hand hung free while his right remained in his pocket.

"Tell that to his bowels."

He chuckled at your comment. "Making poo jokes now, are we?"

You took a hold of his hand and lightly swung it together with yours. "It-- this feels nice."

The sad dimple on his face grew as he smiled.

------

"Okay, I think we have to go on without Phil for now." the radio producer announced.

You sat beside one of the microphones in the studio; your eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Is Phil alright?"

"Can someone go check on Phil?" Dan asked. He motioned over a staff member. "He's around my height, has black emo hair, and was last seen wearing a nebula t-shirt. I think he went to use the restroom on the floor above us? The ones on this floor were broken."

The staff member nodded and jogged out of the studio.

Meanwhile the radio producer continued on. "Dan and Y/N, just go with the interview as planned. We're two minutes away now and Phil can join us when he's back."

You and Dan nodded, both putting aside your worries for the moment. The rest of the radio crew left the recording room and shut the door behind them. Behind the window on the wall connecting the adjoined room of the studio, the radio producer put up a single finger.

You slid on your headphones and adjusted the microphone to your seated height. Beside you, Dan did the same and arranged some papers on the table in front of you both. Your last glance at the producer revealed the remaining time until you went live. Three, two, one.

"Hey Internet," Dan began. "I'm here with a special guest a good number of you wanted to meet. She's one of the best selling young adult fiction authors. Perhaps introduce yourself to those who don't already know you."

"Hi everyone," You felt a slight flush on your cheeks. "I'm Y/F/N. Thanks for having me on the show, Dan."

"Of course, the pleasure is all mine." Dan paused to look at his laptop screen. "I'm getting some Tweets regarding Phil, but rest assured that he'll be with us soon. He's just currently caught in a bit of a pinch."

You chuckled.

"So let's begin with the Q&A. Send in your questions now via Twitter or Facebook. After a few of those we'll switch to answering calls . Dial the number listed online at the BBC Radio 1 website." Dan started sorting through questions sent in by listeners.

"Ooh, I'm nervous," you teased. You folded your hands on top of each other on the table.

"Alright, first question is... What inspired you to write your latest novel?" Dan smiled as he made eye contact with you.

"Let's see... I wanted to write about your everyday average people but also incorporate a resonating storyline of romance and risks."

"Do you think you'll continue this style of writing?"

"Perhaps. I've had some modern risque romance inspiration lately. Can't say too much about it just yet though."

"Saucy." Dan cleared his throat and chuckled. "I mean spicy, everyone. Spicy. For the last internet question, what's your favorite dessert?"

"It depends on my mood, really. At the moment it's (your favorite dessert)."

"We're now taking calls! Hello lucky caller one, please state your name and question."

"Hi guys, it's Phil." Phil's voice replied from your headset.

You and Dan looked at each other, perplexed at the situation. You looked through the window on the wall and didn't see Phil standing on the other side.

"Sorry for not being present." Phil's voice continued on.

Dan was the first to react. "No worries at all. But Phil, where are you?"

"I'm currently stuck in traffic so I'll have to send in my question through here. Is that alright?"

"Of course."

"Y/N, what future plans do you have for Suzy's character?"

You blinked at the mention of the name. For a second you were unsure if he meant the character or potential stalker. You chose your tone and words carefully. "I can't disclose too much but I'm hoping to give her the ending that she deserves. A calm resolution of sorts."

"Ah, alright. Thanks!"

"No problem. Thanks for calling." From behind the window you can see the producer shrugging and motioning to Dan.

"It's time for our first commercial break. We'll be back after this hashtag ad." Dan announced and removed his headset. He stood up and made a beeline to the adjoining room.

You closely followed him, craning your neck in case you missed Phil's tall form in the room. "Where is Phil?"

The staff member, who returned after his search for Phil, looked weary. "I can't find him anywhere."

------

A/N: Thank you to everyone who favorited, commented, and added this story to their public reading lists!

I'm thinking of wrapping this up in the next couple chapters. I also have an idea of another Dan x Reader fanfic where the reader is a screenplay writer and Dan is hired as an actor for the reader's movie. Would anyone be interested in that? Let me know your thoughts :)