Chapter 16

"Hey Dan," you mumbled from your position beside him on his bed. You nuzzled closer to him as the fatigue from police station visits earlier in the day settled in.

He hummed out a question sound in response and kept his eyes trained on his laptop screen.

You pursed your lips and poked him on the nose. "Dan," you repeated once more.

It took a moment before he registered your action. He smiled and tapped your nose in return. "Boop," he said. "Sorry I've just been distracted by Twitter. Everyone's been wondering what happened to you. What is it?"

"I wanted to say thank you for being you." You reached over and began to intertwine your fingers together. Your heartbeat still felt as fast as a hummingbird's wings despite the time you spent together.

Dan let out a husky chuckle and further linked your hands together. "What's with the sudden appreciation? I already know that I'm fabulous." He softly pecked your forehead; a small gentle smacking sound accompanied his action.

You lightly scoffed in return and shifted closer to him. "Thank you for being here after everything. Thank you for staying with me."

When Dan opened his mouth to respond, you instead heard his voice in the distance calling your name and felt a slight prodding. You opened your eyes and looked into the brown eyes of the person you dreamt of.

"Sorry," Dan apologized but continued to pull the covers off of you. "But we have to evacuate. There's a gas leak in the building. I have your coat."

Your half asleep gaze remained on him as you half registered an alarm in the background. Your hand crawled through the blankets until it took a hold of your phone before accepting Dan's help with the coat. Despite how dire the situation was, the veil of fatigue prevented you from any feelings of alarm or panic. All you felt was grogginess as Dan reminded you to change into outside shoes then guided you out of the apartment complex. The frigid winter air's contact with your bare legs caused you to shiver along with the other neighbors huddled outside.

"Oh," Dan mumbled when he noticed how you were still in your pajamas. "Should've grabbed my trackies for you." He looked around, squinting at the shops in the distance. "Let's get you somewhere warm in the meantime."

A few minutes later you found yourself at a wooden table inside a small quaint coffee shop. The smell of grounded coffee beans and the sound of the creaking shop door made no impression upon you. An overheard conversation from customers, presumably some of the neighbors, told you that the gas clearing would require at least an hour. The clack of a glass cup on the table caused you to meet the eyes of a concerned Dan.

"I'm just really tired," you offered him a small smile and pulled the cup closer to you. "Thanks. Where's Phil?"

"He went out to find some tea to help you sleep. I sent him a text about the gas situation."

"That would be nice. To get sleep, I mean." You took a sip of the cup. The soft taste of hot chocolate gently fanned at your weariness.

"Nothing happened since the visit to the police station, right?"

After returning to London from Paris you went to the police station to file a report for a potential stalker. However, the police required more evidence in order to take official action. For now you told to continue your daily life unless another sighting or encounter occurred. You were told that a few days ago and since then your activities on Twitter and outside the apartment severely decreased.

You shook your head. "It feels like I'm just waiting around for something to happen to me before they can do something."

Dan's brows furrowed. "Don't say that. Nothing will happen to you."

"I just want more freedom to do what I want to do with the limited time I have here."

A pause. His eyes avoided yours and he bit his lip. No further words passed between you two for the time being.

------

A/N: Thank you again to likelaughlivelove for nominating Stay With Me for The Fanfiction Awards 2017. It would be cool if other fellow readers could do that as well :) Also thanks to everyone who favorited, commented, and added this story to their public reading lists!