11. Dreaming

Tommy's POV

For the first time in a while, I felt like I wasn't alone. After going AWOL , I didn't have anyone. Not Manny...or anyone else. Danielle was always there for me when we were younger, but that was just as a friend. Having her here with me now...was something entirely different. It was something more. I'm different than I was back then. I want different things. I look at Brendan and his family, and I think fuck... I think I want that. It sounds crazy, but I want her by my side.

Knowing me... I'll find some way to mess it up. A low mumble interrupted my train of thought.

"Hey, Tommy," She looked up at me and smiled.

"Morning."

She turned her head in the direction of the side table. "It's 3 AM, " She groaned as she moved closer to me. It was silent as we tried to fall back asleep.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz. We opened our eyes.

"Is that you?"

"Yeah." She shoved the covers off of her legs and made her way to the floor. She dug through the pocket of her jeans. She took out her phone and looked at the name.

"Who the hell's calling you at three in the morning?"

"Um...I don't know." She paused. "Maybe they'll leave a message, " She replied, while placing it on the side table.

10 AM

Danielle's POV

I had made breakfast: scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon and fruit salad. Like I always did when I was anxious... I was thinking. My phone was on the table and I was spinning it around. I tried not to think of the worst.

I had finished eating a while ago, but was waiting for Tommy to come back from his run. They usually lasted a long time.

Tommy was still surprisingly buff for someone who had just gotten out of prison. He had probably been working a lot while he was there. I mean, what else would someone spend their time doing in prison. I had seen plenty on cop and prison shows on A&E and stuff like that...but I couldn't imagine what it was actually like...

It was probably an outlet for him...lifting weights and running and stuff like that. I wondered if he was going to ever start fighting again.

When went out for breakfast with Brendan, he refused to work out at his gym. It was understandable I guess. I don't think he was ready to bring up anything that had to do with Sparta.

Plus, he didn't go out that much and I doubt he would turn up in a gym so soon after the tournament. He didn't want to deal with having people recognize him. I'm sure there were people who thought he was a hero and others who probably thought he was scum. I felt bad for him.

Before I even had time to notice, Tommy had already stormed in the front door and to his bedroom. I heard his drawer slam open as he took something out. I didn't know what to do, so I waited. A few seconds later, he came out and greeted me.

"Hey."

"Rough morning?"

"Yeah," He said. He was moving quickly and stopped to give me a kiss on the cheek, before he headed for the bathroom.

"My sister invited us out for dinner," I called out randomly. That was a kind of a lie... I mean technically she invited me, but I thought it would be good to get Tommy out of the apartment.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah, she wants to see you again." Another lie. I had no idea if Anna even wanted to meet Tommy yet.