10. Don't Think Too Much

Chapter Theme Song: Automatic Loveletter - Don't Let Me Down (House is empty, no one's watching. Kiss me once you never stop please. Angels bleed and fall in silence. Everything feels right with you.)

Brendan drove Tommy's car to the apartment, while Tess followed behind. I drove ahead. Tommy still had to renew his license, so Brendan parked it in the parking garage for him. Tommy didn't come with is, he just nodded and took off jogging down the street. Brendan told me that I would probably have to get used to that.

I stopped by my office to drop something off. I rarely ever need to be in the office, I usually just email everything to my boss. I stayed a little longer in the office than expected to catch up with co-workers, but I left by 2 PM. Then, I went back to Tommy's. He wasn't there so I assumed he was still out. It had been two hours since breakfast. I didn't have the key so I went back downstairs to the front lobby to wait for Brendan and Tess so I could lead them to my sister's.

I was more tired than I had ever been in my life. My arms were limp from carrying boxes. We had to make a few trips from my sister's house to mine. Tess, Brendan, Anna, James and I were exhausted by the time we had finished. I knew Anna was probably glad to not have my boxes and furniture crowding her garage anymore.

The whole day I thought about what Tess and Brendan had said to me. I think you could be good for him. You're exactly what he needs right now.

I couldn't lie... that really made me happy inside. Tommy and I together? I was starting to think about what it would actually be like to be in a relationship with Tommy. Not boy Tommy...but with Tommy, the strong, caring passionate, man. I prayed it wouldn't be harder this time around... to get closer to him. I knew about all the things he went through in Iraq and he just got out of prison for god's sake. I really hoped that it hadn't completely hardened him. I knew he was excited to see me and was opening up more , but I couldn't be sure.

I was never sure of anything with Tommy.

When I got back it was about & 7 PM. The only light in the room was coming from the TV and the slightly open curtain. Tommy was sitting on the couch watching Two and a Half Men. I grinned. He looked so relaxed... I kept quiet and stood by the door watching him. I couldn't help but smile. I was silent as I walked over, trying not to disturb him. I bumped my hip on the counter. He heard me and turned around, but didn't say anything. I hope he didn't think I was trying to sneak past him.

"Sorry, I didn't want to disturb you. Looked like you were enjoying it."

"No, it's cool. You should join me." He moved some magazines to the floor to make room.

Oh, crap, What am I going to say? What is he going to say? Why didn't I think about this before I came back to his place?

I sat down. I expected him to turn back to the TV. He didn't. I pretended to watch the TV, but I could feel his eyes on me. I looked down.

I was never this nervous around him before. Fuck! He knew he was making me anxious and knowing him, he would make me speak first, just to piss me off. He knew how awkward I could be. He was probably laughing inside. Anna would never believe this. Danielle...my drop dead gorgeous sister, she would say, the one who has men falling at her feet, has some guy, nevertheless Tommy Conlon, making her shake in her boots.

I couldn't believe it either, actually. Then again, Tommy was in a league of his own. Finally, I took a deep breath.

"About this morning...," I started, finally turning to him.

"Yeah...," He was really going to make me do all the work. I was really annoyed.

"I...Um... about the..." I stopped, hoping he would finally say something that actually added to the conversation.