3. Six Months

"No way.. Danielle?" He repeated my name, though he must have known he was right. I can't believe he recognized me. I didn't think I looked the same as before, but he sure did. Anyway, he recognized me so I must have.

"Yeah it's me, Brendan." I nodded happily. "Hi. I was just thinking about you. It must be fate. You're just the person I needed to talk to right now. I'm so sorry about your foot by the way." I smiled embarrassed.

"Brendan, I'll be right back. I'm gonna check on the girls." Tess smiled at me before she walked away. He awkwardly embraced me for a hug.

"You came all the way out here to find me?"

"No, actually, I was heading down to the 'Burgh. I was gonna see If I could talk to Paddy." I searched his eyes for any flicker of anger. "You guys keep in touch now?" I asked.

"Somewhat." He paused." This is about Tommy, right?"

"Yeah... I really want to see him again"...I paused. "It's been so long" I added unsure of what to say. I really hoped Brendan didn't think I was just showing up because Tommy was somewhat of a MMA star now.

"He gets out in six months." He added solemnly.

"I know...I mean, I heard it on the news."

His expression changed into a smirk, similar to the one I've always seen Tommy use. "We're throwing him a welcome home party. It's gonna be too cold for a barbecue, but Tess is gonna make dinner and we're inviting close family and friends." He began. "It's going to be pretty small, but you're welcome to join us. We're keeping it a surprise. I'm sure he'll love to see you again."

"That sounds great!" I nodded, giggling. I tried not to sound too excited, but my heart was racing.

"Here. Give me your number and I'll text you when the details are finalized." He took his clearly upgraded phone out of his pocket and handed it to me.

"Yeah, cool." I took it and typed it into his phone.

"You still living in Tacoma?" He asked as I handed his phone back to him.

"No, actually. I live in New York now."

"Oh, that's great. What do you do?"

"I'm a journalist so.. work from home." I added with a smile. "I write for the Times. Sometimes The Daily Post."

"Wow, you must be workin' hard then,"

I laughed. "Yeah."

"You probably know now that I'm a physics teacher." He said, almost sounding sad about it.. Clearly thinking about the tournament where almost everyone saw him get his ass kicked, and then beat the crap out of his brother.

I looked down. "Yes, I do know that, among other things... " I looked up and smiled. "And I never would have imagined you teaching." I added, not wanting to bring it up.

He laughed while two young girls holding copious amounts of snacks turned the corner.

"Where's your mother, Em?" He asked staring at all the sugar they carried. It was bizarre seeing Brendan all sophisticated and fatherly. I stared at him, blushing slightly.

"She's coming, Dad!" The eldest, obviously Em, short for something like Emma or Emily, replied while throwing snacks into the cart.

"Emily...Rosie... this is Danielle. She's an old friend of mine and your Uncle Tommy."

I waved at the girls, but they looked a little shy.

"The one we haven't met yet?" Emily asked.

"Yes Em... and what do we say... Rosie?"