Chapter 28 | The Longest Day

Start from the beginning

"We really don't." I told him before walking downstairs. He took hold of my hand and pulled me away from the staircase.

"Jane, I was protecting you."

"Give me one good reason why you do that other than the 'I'm your friend' thing." I snapped. 

I needed to hear it but he stayed silent.

"I saw you get close with Keith and then the next minute you and Mike were all over each other," he explained. 

"Who is Mike?" I was genuinely confused now.

"My cousin," he said in a duh tone. I nodded my head. I thought he was Michie but that was beside the point. 

"There's nothing between me and Keith. We casually smoked a joint together." I said. 

"I'm just watching out for you. Don't you think you've been through enough?" he snapped.

I took a step back as he raised his voice. He was starting to scare me.

"You clearly go around asking for trouble. I thought maybe he got to you because you were vulnerable but you actually knocked on his door and forced yourself into all sort of shit didn't you? I wouldn't be surprised if you dialed his number asking for it again." He said before marching out of the house. I ran after him but I wasn't dressed for the weather outside.

"What the hell are you talking about? Get back in here!" I yelled at him but he completely ignored me and sat I'm his car.

"You know exactly what I mean Blake." He said before driving off.

Tears brimmed my eyes as I watched him leave. He was talking about Trace. 

I shut the door and ran to my room. I slammed the door and sunk to the floor. How could he say this to me?

Each word that he said repeated in my head and I wonder just how much he knew but even if he did why would he say those things.

"It wasn't my fault." I shouted out but it sounded more like a question than a statement.

"Dad, what's going on?" I cried as I looked around his hospital bed. My dad looked pale and completely drained yet he put on a smile...for me.

"I hate that you have to see me like this. Why don't you take a seat and I'll tell you." He told me.

I quietly dragged a chair towards his bed and sat down. He reached for my hand and I quickly took hold of his.

"Daddy, you're scaring me."

"I've tried my best sweetheart. I fought my hardest but I can't anymore." He said.

"Daddy, what are you talking about?" I shook his hand as his eyes shut briefly.

"You love your father, right?" he asked. I shook my head up and down quickly. "More than words can describe." I told him.

"Then promise me that you'll be strong for me and for us." He said.

"Daddy, I promise now tell me what's wrong. Stop doing this, you know I can't handle seeing you sick." I insisted. 

"You can handle it and you will. You're strong Blake and I'm so lucky to have a daughter like you." He said. 

I was getting frustrated now, he was making up excuses for no reason. At times like this I really wondered how I kept up with him, but at the same time I was scared for what he would have to say, when was the last time dad got emotional at a hospital? Never.