Chapter 12

Rachel's POV

Jai and I walk hand-in-hand along the street, looking at various shops. I pull Jai into a cute little retro shop and look through the clothes and accessories. I find an adorable yellow summer dress, patterned with little daisies. I take it off the rack and show Jai.

"Isn't it cute?" I ask, holding it in front of me. He grins and nods. I put it back on the rack as Jai looks around. It seems like he's trying to find something. I turn around and look through the earrings and necklaces. I find a pair of pineapple earrings. I look in the mirror and put them against my ear, seeing what they'd look like. I spin around and face Jai, doing a weird face and posing.

"What do you think?" I ask.

"Cute." he stretches, laying back on the couch he's sitting on. He closes his eyes and yawns.

I smile at his tiredness. He's adorable when he's tired.

I put them back and walk towards him.

"Ready to go?" I ask.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Just let me go to the bathroom first." he says, getting up and walking towards a door at the back of the shop.

"Wait for me outside?" he asks.

"Sure." I say, leaving the shop. The little golden bell dingles as I walk out the door.

I sit on a bench beside a window that looks into the shop, viewing the counter. I look at the dull road in front of me, counting all the red cars. A man, about 50, walks past me and throws a cigarette on the ground in front of me. He turns and looks at me, spitting on the ground. He wipes his mouth and keeps walking. I look at the cigarette in disgust. It's still lit, and smoke is clouding around me. I stomp on it and walk away, looking through the door to the shop.

Jai is talking to the lady at the counter. She's wearing purple eyeshadow and blue lipstick, her hair in two pigtails, dip-dyed blue. She's wearing a purple summer dress and enormous heels. Her look definitely suits the shop. She nods and Jai walks out, grinning at me.

"You're lucky it's a long weekend," Jai starts, "because it's Monday and otherwise you'd be at school right now." he states.

Realisation hits me. I have school tomorrow. How depressing.

"Oh." is all I say. I think about how almost everyone in our group of friends is in a relationship. I'll be the only one who's alone.

I snap out of my thoughts when my head smashes into a pole.

I groan as Jai quickly stops and bursts out laughing.

It actually really hurts. I sit on the ground and lay back, my hand on my head. I frown as Jai doesn't stop laughing. My back feels unusually cold. I look down and see that I'm laying in a puddle.

Jai calms down and turns to look at me. He sees that I'm laying in a giant puddle and laughs even harder. I turn my head and see a girl my age crossing the road. She pulls her hood up as she quickens her pace. She looks at me and her eyes widen for a split second. She stops in front of me and puts a hand out for me. I thankfully grab it as she helps me up.

"You right?" she laughs, examining my head. I nod.

"You've got quite an egg there." she grins, pointing to my forehead. I feel my head and there's a great big lump there. I sigh.

"Thanks for helping me, unlike my very unhelpful boyfriend over there." I say, emphasising on the words 'unhelpful boyfriend'. I point to Jai.

He's wiping his eyes from the tears of laughter. He coughs.