Chapter 21: 1 on 1

-Sol's pov

Looking back at the cloud of smoke that had risen and was slowly dissipating, I could make out a black clad figure seemingly unfazed by the explosion.

[Sol] "tough bastard aren't ya."

That's right. Standing there in the small crater was the one called by a number. He stood there, gazing down at the scratches and small cracks along the left side of his armour, running his hand down across each one as if to assess the damage. It didn't take long before his gaze shifted towards me and, although I couldn't see his eyes through his pitch black helmet, I could feel his stare as though it were trying to pierce through me. I readied myself for battle once more, knowing this would be more difficult than I originally thought and 3 did the same, slightly hunching over as if to prepare to take off sprinting at less than a seconds notice.

He dropped Dragons fang as his legs let out a small mechanical noise and the linings of his armour began to glow a deep blue. The same noise could also be heard from his arms as they in turn glowed a fiery orange. A small amount of electricity sparked to life around his feet and embers formed around his hands.

[Sol] "ah, dust infused armour. So that's your weapon."

The glowing hunter wasted no time, charging forward at literal lightning speeds and delivering a hard, left handed, fire infused punch to my face.

It hurts, but for some reason, I can't help but smile as I return the favour, leaving Grimm heart to fall into the void and punching 3 in the face with a right hook. We traded blows for a while after that, his fiery fists burning my clothes as he hit me and my fists barely scratching that armour of his. Ending the first close range brawl, we both managed to deal a blow to each other's heads. His fist to my face and mine to his chin. While he flips through the air, landing ready to continue, I'm sent careening along the ground before rolling back to my feet and sliding a short distance. Wiping the blood from my mouth, I now realise what's happening. This is my first real fight, my first real experience with my own body. This pain, this excitement... it's enthralling. All of my instincts are screaming at me to keep fighting, to beat this guy with everything I've got.

The glow in his arms turned to a lighter blue as frost begins emanating from his hands. Placing his hands on the ground in front of him, a line of ice shards formed along the ground headed straight for me. The ice crystals grew larger as they neared me, causing me to have to leap from crystal to crystal before the towering pillar of ice shards overtook me. I'm currently trapped between a gap in the ice as the gap slowly but surely reduces in size. Luckily I manage to form Grimm heart in its railgun mode, launching all the stored lightning dust downwards, shattering the pillars of ice. On the way down, I transformed my weapon back to its blade form while 3 had already begun running towards my landing position. The moment my feet touched the ground, I ducked, slashing horizontally at the oncoming attacker and running past him as he went for a swing at me. Turning around to face him, I could see that I'd finally done some damage to his armour as a large slice in it has been taken out showing the grey clothing beneath but still not yet reaching the skin. Is it his aura that's stopping his body from taking any serious damage? I guess that would make sense though it seems a little unfair seeing as I don't have an aura. Oh well, no time to think about that now though as he suddenly disappears from sight in a spark of electricity. From behind, I notice a killing intent and turn around just in time to block Dragons fang with Grimm heart. 3 had gone and collected it without further delay. Looks like he plans on ending the fight now huh.

We both struggle for supremacy as the clashes advantage switches between our two sides causing me to conclude that at the moment at least, the two of us are indeed at the same level of strength. The only problem is that, now that we've begun exchanging blows with swords, he's matching me blow for blow like he's reading my moves or, like he's made them his own. If that's the case then this guy really is a fighting genius, no, he's above that even. A true, born, fighting prodigy. Again and again, our swords clashed without a single hint of either one of us becoming exhausted. That's when I sensed four new presences in the vicinity, watching the spectacle that is our battle.

- 3rd person pov

[Mirror] "Woohoo! I'm first! I'm gonna- Ryu?"
[Dan] "hm? What's- oh you're right. Who's that he's fighting?"
[Gwenn] "Geez, what are they doing? Can't they tell what's going on?"
[Dan] "hey, isn't that Ryu's weapon in that guy's hand?"
[Mirror] "huh? Oh yeah, Dragons wang or something right?"

Mirror received a chop to the head from Nul whom had appeared behind them.

[Dan] "I... think it's Dragons Fang..."
[Mirror] "oww~ oh, right..."
[Gwenn] "should we help him?"
[Dan] "Hmmm..."
[Sol] "He's mine! Take care of the kids in the orphanage!"

Sol shouted out, surprising the four of them as they hadn't realised he had noticed them.

[Mirror] "o-orphanage?"

Nul tapped his shoulder before pointing towards the old, damaged church.

[Dan] "let's go!"

- Sol's pov

Good, they'll keep the kids safe but now I have to make sure to keep this guy's attention... yeah, don't think that'll be much of a problem somehow. Just to make sure however, I leap back before calling out to him.

[Sol] "Catch me if you can!"

I took off running away from the church, looking back to see the armoured figure following along with me. Alright. Let's go somewhere a little more open shall we?

*Chink*

Huh?

Jumping from rooftop to rooftop I heard something strange and familiar behind me. Turning my head around to check what that sound was, I saw something a little unexpected to say the least.

[Sol] "Where the hell'd you find that!?"

In his hands, aimed towards me, is Dragons Fang in its railgun form. Where he found and picked up the sheath, I have absolutely no idea. Heh, too bad it's out of dust.

Just then, a beam of concentrated electricity whizzed past my side. Turning back once more, Dragons Fang was emitting a slight sizzling sound as it cooled down from having just fired. ...what?

[Sol] "uh oh."

He fired off another shot while I was in the middle of jumping between buildings. I put my arms in front of me to block the oncoming beam as well as possible. It greatly singed my left forearm as it pushed me back with incredible force, sending me past a group of familiar looking hunters and huntresses and through a hole in a cave wall as my opponent followed me.