Chapter 13: Search and Destroy part 2

While Ruby and I did our little comedy routine, the other girls had mixed impressions of what had just occurred with Weiss wide eyes and unable to form proper sentences, Yang confused over whether to face palm or punch my face, Blake blushing and looking in any other direction and Oobleck completely oblivious about what had just occurred.

[Ryu] "s-so what are your orders doctor?"
[Oobleck] "Ah, yes, straight to the chase; I like it! *Suddenly lets go of Zwei, suspended in the air for less than a second before dropping down, to put his hands behind his back for a serious pose* As you've been informed, the southeast area has been marked as a recent hot spot for Grimm activity. Now, there are several possible explanations for this behavior, one of which being..."
[Oobleck & Sol] "Grimm."
[Ruby] "uh, what?"

If it wasn't for Sol warning me as well I probably wouldn't have noticed the presence of the Beowolf nearby and thought that Oobleck was being sarcastic or just plain redundant.

[Oobleck] "Grimm. A creature of Grimm approximately one hundred yards from us at this very moment."
[Yang] "what?!"

The girls all turned on their heels to look at the lone, wandering Beowolf, simultaneously equipping themselves with their weapons, ready to fight.

[Sol] "aren't you going to join them?"
[Ryu] "its only one. In an area like this there should be way more. A pack, maybe?"
[Oobleck] "Stop! Ladies!"
[Blake] "huh?"

The girls all began to sheath their weapons at Ooblecks command, though still confused as to the reason why.

[Oobleck] "Ryu is correct. This place is home to many, many Grimm. It is likely that this one has strayed from its group ergo, if we wait, watch and track, it may well lead us to the rest of its pack and subsequently, its prey."
[Blake] "how long do we wait?"
[Oobleck] "It's uncertain. Hours, days, weeks. Why, lone Grimm have been known to stay isolated from the pack for months - and there's the whole pack."

And then there were six. Five other Beowolves had joined up with the first.

[Weiss] "what?"
[Oobleck] "and now they've seen us."
[Weiss] "what?!"
[Oobleck] "AND NOW THEY'VE SEEN US!"
[Ruby] "I take it tracking them is out of the question?"
[Oobleck] "an accurate presumption, yes."
[Yang] "so what's the plan?"

I place my hand on the hilt of Dragons Fang.

[Oobleck] "show me what you're capable of."

Ruby swings Crescent rose in preparation to fire towards the incoming enemies

[Ruby] "cover your ears Zwei!"

Zwei curled up into a ball in preparation. Yang and a single Beowolf ran towards each other with the end result being the blonde bombshell landing a fiery punch to the Grimm's face, sending it sprawling along the ground before dissipating. Several more Beowolves appear and give chase to Blake who stands in wait with her hand on her hilt when one of the Grimm slash at her, only to tear through an afterimage left by her semblance. The real deal appeared slightly above and behind the Grimm, slashing at it and cleaving it apart before rending another immediately after.

[Sol] "Hey... they're not coming for us, are they?"
[Ryu] "doesn't look that way."
[Sol] "I wonder why..."
[Ryu] "it's weird. Nothing like this has happened before has it?"
[Sol] "well... I can think of one time."
[Ryu] "you don't mean..."
[Sol] "Think about it. mount Luna, Mount Glenn. These places might have more in common than just being huge piles of rock."
[Ryu] "so thanks to father, these guys living here ignore us?"
[Sol] "I'd wager that they're familiar with the feeling of a dragon Grimm somewhere around here and know not to mess with it."
[Ryu] "hmm..."
[Oobleck] "Mr Ryu? Care to join the rest of your team?"
[Ryu] "eh? Ah, r-right!"

Leaving the thoughts of why the Grimm aren't attacking me in the back of my mind, I looked over to where the girls have been fighting. That's when I saw Weiss, still in the midst of defending herself against a group of enemies, about to be flanked by three more. I figure if I yell out to her it'll just distract her and give the other five in front of her time to attack.

[Yang] "Weiss! Behind you!"
[Weiss] "what?!"
[Ryu] "Damn it!"

I raced forward as the five Aim their claws at her. Before they can slash down at her however, I've already severed their outstretched arms from the rest of their bodies, leaving them finally aggravated by, and paying attention to me. At the sight of the snarling, mindless monsters, I channel a part of my aura into my weapon and nonchalantly slash the air in front of me, using the wind dust inside the weapon to create a blade of wind that sliced through three of the Grimm. While Weiss held off the three that were behind her, the other remaining two in front of me dashed forwards, charging without any proper forethought as to how strong their opponent was. As one of them swung their claw at my head, I leaned backwards to avoid the attempt at my life while simultaneously swinging my blade through its neck, decapitating it instantly as its lifeless corpse fell to the ground and vanished with the black dust-like substance flowing into me as always. The last one leapt at me in an attempt to not give me time to react but, a one on one with a Grimm like this. It was always going to end the same way. As it leapt through the air at me I swung my blade in its direction, cutting it cleanly in half. I looked back over towards Weiss but she was seemingly able to take care of those three with ease.

[Weiss] "I'm not thanking you."
[Ryu] "that's fine."
[Weiss] "well, maybe if you beg- wait what?"
[Ryu] "it's what teammates do right? Sorry, I'm still a little new to this whole, teamwork, thing."
[Oobleck] "hmm."
[Ruby] "Heh. Piece of cake!
[Oobleck] "Do not celebrate yet, for I am certain this is the first bout of many. Shall we continue?"

-

Since the moment we got here, practically all we've done is fight Grimm. Mainly Beowolves but there was the occasional Ursa every once in a while. As the team defeated Grimm after Grimm, Oobleck could be seen taking samples of and scrounging around in the local flora. At the moment we finish off the remaining Grimm, Oobleck is standing in the centre of us as the girls pant with slight exhaustion.

[Oobleck] "Excellent work! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any signs of criminal operations in this sector. Oh, well! Moving on!

While following along behind Oobleck, Weiss uncharacteristically came to walk at my side.

[Weiss] "Why aren't you tired at all?"
[Ryu] "hm?"
[Weiss] "are you not even trying or something?"
[Ryu] "I absorb the essence of defeated Grimm, remember?"
[Weiss] "that-! Doesn't that mean you can keep fighting forever?!"
[Ryu] "what are you talking about? I have my limits too."
[Weiss] "well excuse me if I haven't exactly seen them yet."
[Ryu] "I'm not some immortal monster. You stab me I'll be hurt, you prolong the fight I'll get tired, I actually use more stamina fighting them then I get back. I have quite a few weaknesses."
[Weiss] "o-oh... wait, why would you tell me that?"
[Ryu] "you're my teammate. Besides, you would have noticed it eventually right?"
[Weiss] "r-yes, that's right! I most certainly would have!"

Weiss happily walked away from me with an accomplished look.

[Yang] "Hey, Doc, y'know, I was actually looking forward to seeing a "pro Huntsman" in action. Like, fighting, or at least, helping us fight?"
[Oobleck] "*looking back over his shoulder towards Yang*Ah, but I am in action! Scouring the ruins of this once-great city for any signs of irregularity! *Fully turns to face us* Not every mission is filled with daring and heroism. Sometimes it's just a heightened form of extermination! Remember, this is a job, and you all signed up for it. I do hope you understand that."
[Yang] "Well, yeah... O-Of course!"
[Oobleck] "hmm..."