Chapter 18: Exhausted

As my eyes slowly and unwillingly opened, the scene in front of me was quite a wake up call. I tried to stand up but felt a particular lack of energy in my body. Could it be? Ah, it is. I've run out of aura. Even so, I need to stand up. I need to find the others and help them as much as I can.

Once I managed to stand, I found myself needing to lean against the wall behind me. I also discovered by looking around, that both Dragons fang and a large portion of my dust was missing. My guess would be that they went flying while I was still in the air. Well that's unfortunate. I looked around, trying to gather my bearings and noticed that to my right, is a building with its doors scratched and beaten in. A sense of urgency overtook my being when I realised what this building was.

[Ryu] "The orphanage..."

I made my way towards the entrance as quickly as possible while being forced to use the wall as a support. Entering the orphanage, I could see that even the inner pillars had received some serious damage from Grimm and looking deeper inside the church-like building, I could see three Beowolves snarling at something. Trying to get a closer look, I could make out the figures of the two Faunus children, Cyan and Millie, standing in front of the other children.

[Ryu] "Hey!"

I had to get their attention somehow and I figure an injured and heavily fatigued huntsman in-training would probably look better to them than a bunch of scared children.

I was right.

The Grimm turned towards me and began running at me. I tried to call Grimm Heart to my hand but lack the energy to do even that. A few puffs of black smoke but nothing more. The Grimm were now closing in on me so I did the only thing I could think of. I grabbed one of the remaining dust vials and waited for the Grimm to get close enough. As soon as it opened its mouth to try and take a bite, I thrust my right hand into its mouth, letting go of the vial before the sharp pain of the Grimm biting down on my arm coursed through me. Following this, I could feel a burning sensation as the Grimm erupted into flames. As the beast died and dissipated, its remaining smoke flowing into me. I had no time to rest and just went for it, summoning Grimm Heart in my right hand and swinging it as hard as I could at the second attacker, barely managing to connect but I was still able. Luckily enough, it connected with the monsters jaw, slicing the upper part of its head clean from its body. With the second Grimm down I could feel a little of my energy return to me, but not enough as I was knocked down by the third Beowolf. It stood atop me, attempting to end my life with its claws. I moved my head to the left and right to avoid it before using all of my strength to send Grimm heart into the Grimm's heart.

As it fell lifelessly before dissipating, I began feeling a sort of thumping sound in my head. It disappeared as I stood up but the feeling was... strange.... familiar yet unfamiliar.

[Cyan] "Big bro!"

I was using one of the pews to keep myself standing but my legs were shaking and I could barely move. Cyan must have noticed this because both he and Millie ran up to me Frantically.

[Cyan] "Are you okay?!"
[Millie] "W-what happened?!"
[Ryu] "heh, I'm fine... just a little exhausted.."
[Millie] "y-your arm..."
[Ryu] "Hm? Ah that... haha... it's nothing for you kids to worry about."

I tried to give my most convincing smile but the truth was that right now, not just my arm but my entire body hurt like hell, and I'm pretty sure they've both realised that because neither of them seemed to be relieved at all when they heard me. Trying to take their concerns away from me, I decided to change the subject.

[Ryu] "I saw you guys were protecting the others when I got here..."

The two of them lowered their heads thinking that they'd done something wrong and were about to get scolded.

[Cyan] "s-sorry big brother... my body just moved on its own."
[Millie] "m-me too... when C-Cyan jumped up I..."
[Ryu] "Good job."
[Cyan & Millie] "huh?"
[Ryu] "if you guys choose to be huntsmen in the future... you'll be much better than I am at this age..."
[Cyan] "H-huh?!"
[Ryu] "heh... when I was your age I-"

My words were interrupted by the sound of low growling coming from the entrance. Looking back, a creep had somehow made its way over here.

[Ryu] "Get back you two."

Cyan and Millie carefully took steps back and hid behind one of the pews. I tightened my grip on my weapon and the creep charged. I held my sword in both my hands, and thrust outwards, piercing the mask of the charging Grimm. Its momentum however, caused it to take me along with it as we both went crashing into the wall behind us while it dissolved.

The other orphans, still scared, ran to the sides while the two Faunus came to see me.

[Millie] "B-big brother!"
[Ryu] "guh, where's that glasses guy..? He should be making sure you guys are safe..."
[Cyan] "That guy locked himself in his office the second the Grimm started attacking."
[Ryu] "alright. Where's his office?"
[Cyan] "that way."

Cyan pointed to a room to the side.

[Ryu] "Okay. Help me up?"

The two readily complied and grabbed an arm each, helping me stand and to keep my balance as we walked towards the room. When we got there, I used my left hand that was being held by Millie to knock on the door.

[Man] "Heeeeek!"
[Ryu] "it's okay! They're gone!"
[Man] "r-r-r-really?!"
[Ryu] "yeah! So open the door...! And let the kids in!"
[Man] "...n-no.."
[Ryu] "What?"
[Man] "I-I said no!"
[Ryu] "Why not!?"
[Man] "heeeeek! B-because then the Grimm will try to get in here!"
[Ryu] "the Grimm won't be here much longer! So open the damn door!"
[Man] "h-how would you know that?!"
[Ryu] "because all the other hunters are taking care of it! Otherwise, don't you think there would be more?!"
[Man] "..."

I could hear slow footsteps in the silence before the knob twisted and the door began slowly opening. Inside, I could see the man, his composed figure now ruined by constant tears and fear.

[Ryu] "let the kids in there. It'll be alright."
[man] "o-okay..."
[Ryu] "Cyan, Millie... go and tell the others they can hide in there."
[Cyan & Millie] "Mm!"

They nodded their heads before running off to tell the other kids the situation.

[Man] "a-a-ah..."
[Ryu] "what? What is it?"
[Man] "g-g-Grimm!"

Turning my head, another lone Beowolf was standing in the doorway, ready to charge at us.

[Ryu] "get the kids inside and I'll take care of it."
[Man] "o-okay."

The children rushed inside the room with the man closing it as fast as he could as soon as the children were all inside. Turning back towards the Beowolf, it started towards me, however, a long, black, metal spear pierced its head, cleanly exiting the wound and implanting itself in the wall beside it.

[Ryu] "who-"
[???] "found you~"