Chapter Thirty-Six

September 20th, 2014

"Any luck?" I asked when Luke came up to my door. Telling by the cheeky grin on his face, I knew he found something. "I'll take that as a yes."

"There are two Hemmings family's in Sydney, and we have to find a lady by the name of Liz, so let's check the first one," he explained, pulling me to his car by the wrist.

"I'm coming?"

"Do you really think I could do this alone?" Luke asked me as he turned around to face me. "You're my support system," he smiled and leaned down to peck me softly on the lips. "And I thank you for that. But I really cannot do this alone."

"Okay," I blushed. "Let's go before I burn my face off."

"Why would you- oh," smirked Luke. "Aw that's cute, I made you blush. And to make you blush even more..." he trailed off before dipping his head back in for a longer lasting kiss that sent the butterflies in my stomach to go crazy. I tried my hardest not to laugh as I put my hand up to his cheek, but the not laughing thing didn't really work out. "You ruined it Paige!" We were both laughing, so it wasn't rude.

"I'm sorry!" I chuckled, getting in the passenger's seat. I smiled as he got in, because it was noticeable that he was blushing, too. "Just drive."

"Fine," he muttered under his breath. A few short minutes later- more like an hour it felt- we arrived at a nice looking house that was screaming modern contemporary to the both of us. "Fuck, Paige," swallowed Luke. "I c-can't, I-"

"No, shh, I'm right here. Just walk up to the front door and ask if there's a Liz there." He nodded while swallowing again, but when he started walking, he took my hand so I was forced to go up with him anyway.

His hand was shaking as he rang the doorbell, and a solid two minutes later, an older man showed up. "Hello," he spoke without opening the screen door.

"H-hi, I was, um, wondering if Liz Hemmings was here." The old man furrowed his eyebrows and looked his wall clock.

"I'm pretty sure I would know if I had a Liz in my family, so sorry, kid, no Liz here." all the muscles in Luke's face relaxed as he let out a small sigh.

"Thank you." We walked back to the car and Luke hung his head the whole ride over to the other home. This house was even farther, away from a good amount of civilisation. Pretty soon, the GPS on Luke's phone stopped working and we had to use stupid Google Maps. It was an awful car ride.

"This is it," whispered Luke when we pulled into a gravel driveway. This house had one neighbour, about a half mile away. But it was the right house, we were sure of it. It was a total opposite of the modern contemporary one, and I liked it a lot better. If this was Luke's former home, he was lucky. "Man, imagine, if they didn't give me up. I would have most likely been born and raised here."

"But if they didn't give you up, maybe you wouldn't know Cal or I," I said to my boyfriend and he pouted. "Are you ready?"

"More than ready," Luke breathed. "But I'm freaking the fuck out, hold my hand." He used his five year old voice, but I gave in and laced our fingers together, then walked up to the front door. "Okay, here we go." He rang the doorbell and a lady appeared, so it was good news so far. This could be Liz. She has blonde hair and grey blue eyes. This had to be her.

"Hello?" she asked.

"Hi," Luke let go of my hand. "Um, are you Liz Hemmings?" She raised her eyebrow.

"Yes?" My heart jumped, it felt like, and I could tell that he had stopped breathing from beside me. "Who are you?"

"Uh, I'm Luke and this is Paige. This is probably very weird to you, but we just need to talk. We're not here to sell you anything or talk about politics, I promise. Just to talk. May we come in?" Liz lightly smiled, but it was odd, she didn't realise she was staring at her son.