Chapter Twenty-Five

April 25th, 2014

Everybody has that one person in their life that they know they trust with all of their heart. They can feel it. Whether you know who it is at a certain point in your life, or you're never able to find out, there's somebody out there. So suddenly, I realised that it wasn't just Calum who I could tell everything, too, it wasn't Luke either. If he couldn't trust me with his problems, I didn't have a reason to trust him with mine.

The person I knew I could trust was my brother.

"Greg?" I knocked on the bathroom door, knowing he'd be done using it right when I called for him.

"Yeah?" he ran his fingers through his chestnut (more like chocolate but it's brown) and sighed.

"I just, have some things I need to get off my chest," I followed his sigh. Even though he was confused that I went to him, he still agreed and we sat in my bedroom with the door closed.

"Okay, go on," urged Greg.

Before I started, I made sure I was able to comprehend all I was about to talk about and was comfortable saying it all.

"Okay," I breathlessly said. "Well you know I like Luke, a lot." Greg nodded. "Well, um, a while ago, before I told you I liked him, he told me that he liked me..." I swear my brother's eyes literally lit up. "...and we've kissed a few times."

"Oh my-"

"Shh, I'm far from done! So he came over for my birthday and gave me a proper date." I was picking at a hair band on my wrist, mostly because suddenly my anxiousness spiked. "After that, I didn't see him until a few days ago. I mean, he has a lot of problems going on but I know practically nothing, I feel. And he won't tell me. I don't know if he likes me anymore or he's trying to, and I know I'm not dating him but I don't want to be shut out when it's obvious that he's falling apart." I took a breath and let Greg process everything I had just said to him.

A few moments later, he spoke up. "It just sounds like Luke doesn't feel like he can trust anyone fully yet, especially you. But believe me, Paige, I assure you at some point he'll be able to open up to you. It's probably one of these patient kind of things. Maybe he's also scared that you'll give up on him eventually or something. I don't know him, but you make him out to be as someone who can't love themselves when others do."

I sat for a moment, letting the words sink in. "Since when did you become an expert in this stuff?"

"I think it's Hannah, she's rubbing off on me."

"Oh, yeah; how are you two?" I asked curiously.

"Honestly," sighed Greg and then he smiled. "We're great. I'm taking her on a date tonight."

"Really!?" I exclaimed. "Does mum know about this?" His face turned beet red and I was about to die of laughter.

"Yeah..."

"Don't be embarrassed!"

"I am!" said Greg, obviously defeated from the topic. "Let me embarrass you, let's talk more about Lucas, here." My brother poked my side playfully, but the next thing I knew, he was tickling me to death.

"Stop!" I giggled. "Stop! Stop!" I was gasping for air when Greg stopped but he couldn't quit laughing. "What more do I have to say about Luke?"

"Well, I don't know, like; how many times have you kissed?"

"That's not something you should necessarily but int-"

"Come on!"

"A few times, I don't know. The last kiss we had was on Sunday..."