Chapter Eighteen

March 11th, 2014

My room was below freezing when I awoke due to the air conditioner my brother installed for me less than a week ago. I didn't exactly know the precise temperature of the room itself, but since my fingernails were purple- that might've been the main claim to my hypothesis. But other than all of that, I was thrilled to go to school.

Yesterday, Hunter practically didn't exist. Luke never acknowledged her once. Even at lunch, he sat with Cal and I. And at dinner, he sat next to me again, but not too next to me. It was a slow night, but no matter what I enjoyed it. I hoped to enjoy today, too.

Due to my mum's conspicuous rant on how bathtubs should have a wine cooler for nights when ladies would rather kill themselves than do the dishes- I was put in an odd mood. My mum never even drank wine let alone took baths, or did the dishes. That was Greg's job.

I took the bus, the smelly old bright yellow bus that I hated oh-so much. The driver was an asshole, so were the people, I also was an asshole. I overlooked that last one though.

On the way to school, I watched the summer scenery pass by with all of its amazing and beautiful colours. If I could create a metaphor for that, I would, but I was fresh out of ideas. Mostly because I couldn't stop thinking about that date. Well, "date". Like Luke said, they were mostly scattered around and not considered dates, just- it didn't actually make a whole lot of sense. Did he want to take me out on a date or hang out?

I stopped thinking about it when the bus pulled up to the school. Already, kids were shuffling around, hanging out with their friends, or eating breakfast, despite the fact that it was an hour before school started. I didn't have to expect Cal or Luke until thirty minutes before class, so there was absolutely nothing for me to do. I could draw, no, I sucked. I could write, again, no, I have two year old writing skills. The only thing I was good at was creating metaphors.

While everyone else sat outside with their friends, I stayed in the hallways, on a cool bench with no one around me. I was fine, however, my stomach ached for more food and my head was throbbing traumatically. My mum had chronic migraines when she was my age, so she most likely passed it down onto me. No surprise there. I couldn't think anymore, it hurt too much. And the nurses office wouldn't be open until class started.

Sighing, I pulled out a book and tried to read, although it was hard. At least I wasn't an author, or I'd never be inspired with anything.

Pretty soon, people started filing into the hallways and I began searching for two extremely tall boys around my age. A group of boys were standing near me, talking about how one lost their virginity just over the weekend to a girl named Caroline Peters. I knew her, and she shouldn't be with him.

"Loner," said someone as they sat next to me. It was Calum. He was alone, too.

"You're the one to talk. Where's Luke?"

"Donno, he didn't come out when I was going to pick him up. And since he doesn't let me in his house, I just left." All Cal did was shrug but I knew he was worried. I most definitely was. I scrunched up my nose and pursed my lips, something I always did when in thought.

"Oh," I said.

"Yeah, I hope he's okay," said Calum. "It happens sometimes."

"It happens? What?"

"He just doesn't come to school. That's all he tells me."

The day felt slower without Luke there. But of course I would say that, I'm suddenly obsessed with him it seems. This is why I wished I had more girl friends to hang out with and go to the mall. That'd be fun, if people here actually liked me but sadly- they don't.