Chapter Thirty

May 16th, 2014

"Surprise," someone whispered in my ear in the morning at school. Unfortunately, there wasn't really a surprise to it, because I knew by the way he held my waist from behind, and how his head was on my shoulders with his hair brushing my cheek slightly, that it was Luke. I turned my head to look him in the eyes which were much duller now but he was still smiling. "It's good to see you again."

"You- you're at school!" I exclaimed, clutching his arms so I could turn around to face him. He was beaming at my reaction, and I couldn't stop smiling also. "Oh my," I whispered.

"Are you just gonna stand there and not hug me or anything?" Luke asked, dumbfounded. I let out a small sigh, although it was just because I was relieved he was here. My hands linked around his back as he pulled me into him, while his long arms were down and around my neck. Like before, I could feel his hair on my cheek and that just made me laugh.

Well, it did tickle.

With my head on his chest, I closed my eyes and savoured the moment. His hugs reminded me of my dad's, but better. Except it had been ten years, my memory was probably way off. I loved the way Luke smelled, to be honest, it wasn't overpowering. It was like he didn't feel the need to try hard at all. I loved how shy he was, and how he was sometimes afraid to stand so tall. But I also knew he was strong.

"Welcome back," I said into the fabric of his (cruddy uniform) shirt. "I missed having you here."

"Aw," he chuckled, holding me tighter. "I missed being here with you."

"You guys are so cute it makes me sick," said Calum on his way up to us. By then, the hug was already broken and the two of us were blushing like crazy. "But, as you know...I'm totally cool with it. Just no PDA in front of me. I don't want to constantly be reminded of how forever alone I am."

"No worries, Cal," I said and sat next to him on the bench with Luke following. "If you're feeling lonely, just go to Spanish class," I winked, causing him to snort.

"Seriously, Calum, pick up your balls and just ask her out or something. She's settled down after I stopped hanging out with her," explained Luke as he itched his nose cutely. "I think she's lonely, too."

"Luke, that was adorable," I mentioned and he itched his nose again, laughing.

"You really think so?" asked Calum, still talking about Hunter. None of this changed the fact that I hated her. Luke nodded. "Um, I'm scared. I don't think I can do this."

"Cal, Luke literally just said for you to pick up your balls." They laughed. "That means get your shit together and ask her, period." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Well, how'd you ask Paige out?" he asked Luke.

"Uh," Luke tapped at his knee. "Kinda like, uh-"

"You were a wimp about it too; huh?" He nodded. "Figures," sighed Calum.

"What? Girls scare me, but at least I did it." This was awkward. "I'm glad I did, it paid off," Luke smiled towards me.

"What if she says no?" whined Calum.

"You won't know if you don't try!" I said. "Just practise asking her out with me. Okay?" He sighed, giving in right away.

"Fine. Um, okay. Hunter, would you, um, like to go out with me?" I smiled and opened my mouth to answer, but someone else cut me off.

"Yes!" she said. All three of our heads turned towards the voice, only to see that it was Hunter. Beside me, Calum was shaking like a maniac but I found it amusing. It was worth it.