Chapter Twenty-Eight

May 5th, 2014

John gave me the night off, meet me at Berkelouw Paddington if you can and as soon as you can.

I got Luke's text immediately after I finished my homework a little before dinner time. Greg was downstairs playing video games- like always and my mum was cooking spaghetti for the fourth time this week. I didn't plan on sneaking out, no, I planned on straightforward telling her. As much as I wanted to stay in and have dinner with my family, Luke passed an offer of hanging out at a bookstore.

I crept down the stairs, my phone in one hand, Luke's jacket in my other. The suspense was killing me, all I wanted was an answer and that would save me the angst of trying to come up with something to ask her. But sadly, people could not read minds.

"Hey mum," I said quite loudly because of Greg's shouting at his friends and the game. Though she hummed in response, it was hard to hear. "Luke invited me to Berkelouw. Can I go?"

"Do you have money?"

"Sure."

"Would you get food?"

"Yeah."

"Do his parents know?"

"Yeah."

"Then, I guess. Please, don't wreck my car," she said, handing me the keys. I grinned and hugged her from the side as she stirred the pasta.

"Thank you, I love you."

"I love you, too. Have a good time- oh, before you go. Can I ask you a question?" I nodded. "Are you two... dating?" I shook my head. "Oh, okay, have fun. Not too much," my mum said sternly. Scoffing, I took a sharp left out the kitchen and to the front door. I hadn't been to a bookstore in what felt like ages, and I guess I was a little curious to know why Luke wanted to meet up there just out of the blue.

And what did he mean by John gave him the night off? Was Luke still doing housework?

Questions lingered and swarmed through my mind, albeit I knew it was best for me to leave him to do all the talking about himself when he was ready. I had finished jamming and belting to The Kooks when I arrived at the bookstore around at 6:30. There was a space to park just the next building over, I was lucky as hell. Luke's vehicle- new car I was guessing- was parked directly in front of it. I knew it was his because of the polished black and of course, he told me before that he'd never buy a car that's not black.

He was sat in the café with his phone and nothing else in front of him. Just like his car, he was in all black, from head to toe, and honestly I found it quite hot on him. His hand was rested on his cheek, elbow on tabletop as he scrolled through something carelessly on his phone. A girl a few tables down from him couldn't stop staring, and besides the fact that, that made me upset, I knew that if I were her I'd probably do the same thing.

"Evening," I sighed as I sat down in front of him. He looked up at me with a gracious smile.

"Hey," was all he said. "This is a date." I laughed, because I couldn't help it. He was so brashly witted, and it was cute how he straight out said it.

"I was hoping it would be," I nodded.

"But don't worry," he said. "We won't be sitting and having coffee like some boring old shitty couple. No- we're going to explore!"

"You're lame," I groaned but he shook his head.

"It'll be fun. You could get lost in this store."

"I have, Luke," I chuckled and he stood up, towering way above me. "You're the King of cheesy date ideas," I said, standing up, too and we began walking.