Chapter 16: The Emperor

Start from the beginning

The Emperor stood from his throne, a look of fire in his eyes. He towered over a still kneeling Dearekk, raw power etched in his stance. "Very well," he spoke, his voice rumbling in the silence, "the fay have hidden in our secret paradise, hoping that somehow that the world outside would change by itself. But no more! Now is the time to rejoin the world and to go into battle. We cannot just hope anymore, we must take action! We must fight for what we believe in!" He turned to Dearekk, "You have made a strong alliance here today, boy. The fay will not be remembered as those who hid away in their secret fortress while the lives of others were lost for their freedom. Starting this very day, my people will prepare to be called into the final battle." He gently pulled Dearekk to his feet. "Stand, Dearekk Half-elf, we are equals in this fight for liberation."

Dearekk hesitated for a moment; did he really want to risk everything? A small voice in his head told him that he never really had a choice. "My liege," he began, "as your equal there is one request I must make." Taking a deep breath, Dearekk tossed the die of fate and hoped that he would win this gamble.

"Ventar. The Sword of Mist and Flame."

The chaos was instant. Shouts filled the room like the roar of a waterfall as courtiers began arguing and yelling. Nyx, the fay Princess, pointed at Dearekk and began yelling at her father, rage evident in her eyes.

The Emperor held his hand up and the room went silent. Not even the courtiers' strange pets made a sound. "Why," he began with fury in his voice, "do you wish to take something so valuable, so sacred, from us? The fay are the rightful owners of the Sword of Mist and Flame, not the elves, not the humans, the fay." The fire in his eyes was no longer inspirational and excited, but dangerous and livid.

Dearekk had anticipated this question, but by the stunned look on Sonya's face she had not predicted any of this. For a moment, he felt almost guilty for not telling her about it on the wall the night before, but he pushed it away. "No weapon can touch the man I once called 'father'," Dearekk spoke, his voice sounding foreign in his own ears. "But I believe that the weapons of legend, those from the Era of Dusk, will prevail against the evil the King has brought in to our world."

"So you are planning to take away our prized possession because of a guess?" the Emperor fumed.

Dearekk stiffened. "I would never ask anyone to do anything I wouldn't do myself," he whispered, his voice dangerous. "I gave up more than a sword. I gave up my way of life, my birthright, my family, my friends, I have joined forces with those whom I have called enemies all of my life, but not on a guess. No, I did this all on a hope for freedom. So I ask you to sacrifice, as I have, for a hope, not for a guess."

Suddenly there came a hiss behind him. "Do not listen to this boy." Turning around, Dearekk's eyes landed on a woman in all red, standing behind the throne. She looked middle-aged, her hair braided up around her head adorned with a red headpiece. Red ribbons seemed to be braided into her dark hair. What startled Dearekk the most was that her pupils were a milky white color.

"Do not listen to him. He has been tainted by the language of the Broken, their words have imbedded themselves into his very soul. If you trust this boy, everything will change." Her voice was raspy, but filled with raw power. She turned her head to look at him, her milky pupils staring through him, before she spoke, this time her words directed at him. "I know you," she whispered, "You were there at the dawn of the Dusk, when this world came crashing down. You spoke the Broken so recklessly, as if it was your native tongue, never heading the impact your every word made. You should have never existed, but you did. You somehow fought through your nothingness and Became." She raised a shaking hand and pointed at him, "You changed everything."

The Emperor cut in. "This is my Sibyl and wife, Empress Isvi," he said, his voice low and suspicious, "She is one who Knows. But that is not the point. What are you, boy?"

Dearekk's eyes darted about, looking for someone who could explain to him what just happened. The woman's words kept running through his head, but none of them made sense. "I am eighteen years old and I haven't really 'changed' anything yet..." he said slowly, confusion prominent in his tone.

The look in the Emperor's eyes told him that he didn't believe a word Dearekk was saying. "Well, there is a small flaw in your request for Ventar," the Emperor stated.

"And that is?" Dearekk shot back, trying to regain himself after the strange encounter with the woman in red.

The Emperor grimaced. "No one knows where it is. The Sword of Mist and Flame had been missing for centuries."

Without another word, the Emperor turned away. Fay guards arrived and Dearekk and Sonya were ushered out of Summerwell Court and into their separate rooms.

(A/N Hmmmm. Create any questions? Freak you out at all? Wondering what in the world just happened? Haha well I know what just happened...kind of. :P The picture on the side is of the Queen-Sibyl Isvi. Vote and comment!!)