Ch-1 Holidays Yayyy!

ابدأ من البداية

“Umar! Oh be careful, the tiles are wet and slippery…” But the warning was in vain for in his energy and joy he had already started and now came skidding in full force towards her. Humaira had only a moment to open her eyes wide before Umar hit her hard making them both tumble down together while the tub overturned and drenched them completely.

A little boy of four who had been patiently eating sliced pieces of apple had stood up upon the entrance of Umar. And witnessing this scene now, he clapped his hands exclaiming gleefully,

“Umar Bhaiyya Humair Di falling!” Yahya had yet to get his tenses right.

 And before Humaira could scold or say anything at all, Umar hugged her shouting close to her ears, “Holidays Yayyy!”

“Holidays Yayyyy!” joined little Yahya.

“Umar!”

That young man had already stood up and now helped his sister get up. Just then, the doorbell rang downstairs and its chimes echoed up to them.

“I will get it!” he announced and was off to the other part of the hall. Soon he was out of the main door and skipped down the other staircase made of stone, which descended upon the garden in the front of their house.

“No you don’t go anywhere little guy!” Humaira brought a protesting Yahya and seated him back upon the chair as she handed one half-eaten slice in his hand.

“What did mamma say?” She asked sternly but his answer was drowned in the scream-shout of Umar from downstairs,

“SAIF BHAIYYA!”

“Umar Farooq!” came the immediate reply of a man’s deep happy voice.

Downstairs Kadhija had opened the door again but this time she was not burst upon and hugged like earlier, the tall young man who entered saying Assalamu Alaikum looked at her lovingly before he pulled her into his arms.

“Ammi you have become more beautiful.”

“Don’t be silly Saif.” The mother replied fondly as her heart and face glowed in joy and pride.

Saif, just like his twin Saira had the same black hair and teasing dark eyes. He had completed school and became a Hafiz side by side. The first scholar to honour his school and parents so in the whole District. Now in his fourth year of Aalim studies in Kerala, he visited his home only upon holidays or special occasions while last year he had even passed his MBA examinations. Yet no one would label him as studious or nerd and the sentence ‘Don’t be silly Saif!’ were often upon everybody’s lips when he was at home.

“I am not Ammi, I pray Allah would bless me someone just like you!” he sighed breaking his embrace and caught sight of Saira who had just entered the living hall.

“Saif!”

“Saira!” He immediately walked towards her and took both her hands in his while his eyes lighted with a special dear light that only shone when they rested upon his twin.

“Ammi what is she doing here?” He asked though his gaze never left her face.

“Shame on you Saif, Is that how you greet your sister?” Kadhija asked smiling but left the two together and went inside.

“Where is that good for nothing husband of yours?” He inquired slightly frowning.

“At work of course.” She arched a brow tauntingly.

“Then why are you here?”

“Why are you here? You were not expected until Sunday.”