Ch-1 Holidays Yayyy!

Start from the beginning

Even before she opened the door properly, it flew open while the young boy with the parent’s same energy burst upon her and paused for a second. Then taking her unaware, he hugged her in joy and before she could return the hug withdrew and threw his bag upon a sofa while he shouted loudly,

“Assalamu Alaikum! Holidays Ammi the holidays have come!”

Though Kadhijah knew it well for the exam’s last date had been repeated since the whole last month, she only smiled shaking her head as her boy went skipping inside the house.

“Saira Di, Bhabi exams finally over!” Umar continued to shout as he sped between the rooms and finally paused in the kitchen.

“Holidays Yay!” greeted Saira, grinning and swirling the ladle high in the air that she held in her hand for tasting the curry.

“Yayyy!” Umar grinned and chorused back. He was a small boy for his size of nine years yet was charged with indefatigable energy that paused only when he slept or was indulging in his favourite pastime, painting. He, like his eldest sister had the same black hair and merry black eyes that looked back at the world with a long list of curious questions which when answered by the elders were immediately replaced by another list.

Then turning he sped back into the room where he grinned at his Bhabi throwing a question while he turned and sat playing with the baby for the moment with a small, jingling toy.

“Where's Yahya, Bhabi?”

“Upstairs.” Heena replied, smiling and shaking her head somewhat similar in her mother in law’s fashion. Yahya was her son and first child.

 “With Humair Di?”

“Yes.” But he was out even before she had replied.

Opposite to the room had been the kitchen but to its left was a small hall with a glass showcase mounted upon one of its walls where all the daintier and costlier china were tastefully arranged.

The small hall ended and so that part of the house coming upon a spiral, metal staircase with flowery engravings in its balustrade, which ended upon the first floor.

To the left of the room was a big, arch doorway that was heavily curtained in deep red matching the spacious living hall’s walls and cozy furnishings. But these curtains were parted now on both sides and were wound in their middle by long, golden tassels.

And immediately in front of the arch was another room which belonged to Saif, the second son of the house and twin brother of Saira.

Umar bounded the metal staircase and landed upon a similar spacious hall above. Upstairs too were two rooms, one belonged to Humaira; the other was temporarily occupied by the eldest son Habib and his family.

Humaira, the second daughter and fourth child of Kadhija was a shy young woman of twenty-one whose presence was rarely felt yet whose absence was immediately missed. She had thick chocolate brown hair like her mother and her eyes perfectly matched her hair. Yet those deep pools were beautiful when caught unaware, for they reflected the pure soul that resided inside. Thoughtful eyes that often gazed upon the blue heavens as the heart meditated upon the Lord’s magnificent creation or His beautiful words of Truth, Al Qur’an. But in those depths also resided the merry twinkle which was almost like a hall mark of all family members.

Like other women of the family, Humaira too was wearing a Churidar, its dupatta now draped completely across her chest and back while its knot rested upon her waist.   

She had paused for a moment to dip the long mop which she had been using, into the tub of fragrant water when Umar landed and saw her.

“Humair Di!”