The Moonlight

I was crying so much I hadn't noticed Luke had moved closer but I didn't mind when he pulled me to his chest. He didn't say anything. He just stayed still, letting me soak his shirt up with my wet hair and tears.

Letting out a cough and a gasp for air, another couple sobs left my throat. I felt Luke's arms tighten around me and I internally scolded myself for not being able to calm down. Luke should have been the one crying. His parents disowned him. My being kicked out of a job I barely enjoyed was puny compared to his troubles. And yet here I was, bawling my eyes out, letting him take care of me.

I was a real jerk.

It took a lot of willpower, however I managed to pull myself away from Luke's grasp. He reached for me again but I raised a hand.

"I shouldn't be crying," I mumbled with a sniff and a sob. "You should be."

He frowned, amusement crossing his face. "Why?"

"Because your parents just disowned you, idiot!" I yelled a little too loud, throwing my head in my hands and crying some more. What was wrong with me?

Luke snorted and I felt his arms wrap round me again. "Thanks for the reminder, Twinkle-Toes."

I looked up to seethe at him but instead my face crumbled again at the sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry."

He smiled a sad smile at me a shook his head. "Don't be."

"No, I really am."

"Don't," he said, a little firmer this time. "They'll come around."

"No, they won't!" Seriously. What was wrong with me? I could at least be a little positive for the guy. "Look at Fleur!"

Luke laughed. "That's just because she refuses to try with them. She doesn't want to." He tucked a stray hair behind my ear and wiped a tear off my cheek. "I'll get them back on my side. Don't worry, Tish."

His voice was so soft and reassuring. That, paired with his palm still on my cheek, was enough to shut me up. All I could do was stare into his hope-filled eyes and wish I could be the same.

After a moment of silence, Luke finally said, "So, you going to tell me what's up?"

I tried to say something. I really did. But when I opened my mouth my eyes welled up at the same time and I had to squeeze them tightly shut to keep control.

I kept telling myself to be sad about losing my job. But, really, no matter how many times I repeated it in my mind, hanging spoons and stacking egg cups were so not therapeutic tasks. It was clear since day one that I really, really hated Debby's. I just pretended otherwise so I could run away from what I truly loved. And it was finally gone and out of the picture. It was all over. Chapter finished.

Now what?

I felt Luke's hands slowly running through my hair. "You don't have to tell me," he whispered.

I smiled up at him gratefully.

"Can I ask you something?" he said, obviously an attempt to distract me. It seemed to work.

"Yeah."

"How often do you dance?"

I frowned. Definitely not a question I was expecting at that time. But, whatever. Luke knew just about all my secrets. There was no going back.

I answered with a shrug, "Whenever I can, I guess."

"What about now?" he asked suddenly.

"What do you mean, now?"