The Viola (2)

Rain sucks.

And don't give me that "Oh, but it sounds so beautiful on the roof when you're curled up in bed, reading John Green" thing, because you don't care about that shit when you're walking home in it from a long, hard day at work (where your boss is winking and grinning at you because he thinks you're the love of his life after you agreed to go with him to a local drama club-play), while knowing full and well that you'll smell like a wet dog and won't be able to have a hot shower because this crazy, violin-playing bum who is in love with you uses up all the hot water.

I'll say it again - rain sucks.

I felt the water seep into my trainers and I could hear the squishing sounds even over the downpour. I also felt the water running down the bridge of my nose and then dripping off the tip.

It was times like this where I wished I had a drivers license. Or even just the common sense to check the weather report and bring an umbrella. But no, I wasn't really the organized type.

I heard a car engine behind me and, before I could do anything, it slid into a puddle next to the sidewalk, thus flinging all of the water onto me.

"SCREW YOU!" I yelled at the silhouette of the car. It was getting dark and I couldn't see much of it.

The car, as if hearing me, started to pull over and I thought about running away when I heard a voice over the rain.

"Hey, Tish!"

I put a hand over my brow and saw a shorter figure in fluro clothing.

Fleur.

Sprinting like a mad woman, I reached her car, flung the door open and all but dived into the backseat. Alvin let out a very feminine sounding squeal when I hurried to shut the door.

"You look like a drowned rat!" he laughed.

"And smell like one, too." Fleur fanned her nose as she buckled her seatbelt. "Why didn't you just text?"

I shrugged my dripping shoulders. "I didn't want to be a bother."

Fleur shook her head and Alvin clicked his tongue.

"So," Fleur started, turning around in her seat. Her hazel eyes were rimmed with purple eyeliner and her eyelids coloured green. She was always adventurous when it came to her face. "How was work, anyway?"

I snorted. "As good as it gets."

She raised her eyebrows. "It can't be that bad."

"It can be when you got roped into going on a date with your weirdo boss," I muttered, thinking they wouldn't hear me over the rain. They did, though. Crystal clear, apparently.

Fleur's eyes looked as if they'd pop out of her sockets and Alvin started choking after he took in a massive gasp.

"WHAT?" they both screeched in union after they pulled themselves together.

I sighed and decided to come out with it. Who knows, maybe they could help me get out of it.

Or maybe not.

"You're going on a date?" Fleur's smile was a dead giveaway she didn't feel the same way I did about this.

Okay, definitely not.

"Oh my gosh!" cried Alvin, looking at me in the rear-view mirror. "You are!"

Fleur bobbed up and down in her seat like a kid who got given a unicorn. "I can't believe it! You're finally becoming a normal human being! This is, like, the best thing since drugstore makeup primer!"