28

"I have a daughter," I stood in front of my 2 friends and my sister, and swung my hands back and forth lightly.

"Dean," Ariel stood up to hug me, but I held my hands up to stop her. She looked confused and hurt, which made me look down at the floor to avoid her gaze. 

"She's deaf," I sniffed, "and Alexis is dead." 

"Oh my god," Ariel gasped, and I felt her arms wrap around me slowly. 

"Her body couldn't handle the stress of labour, and she just died," I couldn't put any emotion into my voice, because I didn't know what emotion I was feeling, "and because of the drugs Alexis took, my baby will grow up not being able to hear anything," I nodded my head, and swallowed back the emotions that were threatening to come out. 

"I'm so sorry Dean," Ariel pulled back from the hug to look at me, "you don't deserve this." 

"I don't matter right now Ari," I argued, "no matter how much of a bitch Alexis was, she didn't deserve to die, and my newborn baby didn't deserve to have her hearing taken away before she was even in the world," I looked down again and wiped my face, "It's not about me right now." 

"Does she have a name?" Persephone asked softly. 

"Calliope Ariel Maria Colt," I answered slowly, "Maria was Alexis's middle name, and Ariel is you," I looked up at my big sister, who was close to tears, "I love you." 

She threw her arms around me, and held me tightly, "I love you little bro." 

"Do you wanna see her?" I asked. 

I felt her nod, and she pulled away a second later. 

"You guys coming?" I asked Persephone and Frankie. 

They nodded, and started following me when I walked towards to doors. 

I led them through all the hallways until we came to the nursery.

The nurse there already knew my face, so she let me in after we all put on the light pink covers. 

"This is her," I smiled down at the sleeping baby, and gently maneuvered my hands under her tiny body so I could pick her up. I turned around to Ariel, who had let those tears run down her face. 

"She's so precious," Ariel whispered, and held out her arms, "can I hold her?" 

I nodded, and let Ariel take my daughter out of my arms. 

"I can't believe you're a dad," Persephone stated, and bumped my shoulder. 

"I know," I chuckled, and watched Ariel rock side to side. 

"You're gonna be a great dad Dean," Frankie told me. 

"I hope so," I sighed, "I really hope so."