Chapter XXXIII (Annabeth)

"They're gaining!"

Annabeth cursed as she turned at Hazel's voice, finding that the Titan vessel was in fact creeping up on them from behind.

"Get the oars in the water! Jason, we need more wind!" she called as Tyson came lumbering out of the hold, burdened with a bunch of old, sea worn oars that had once seen better days. A majority of the crew swarmed for an oar, just as quickly leaving and lining themselves along each side of the Blackjack. Soon the beckoning order of 'heave!' rang out in a rhythm with the splashing of oars entering the water, and the pounding of footsteps across the deck as more crew ran to and fro, offering their aid at different stations.

"It's not working!" Nico called down from above, perched precariously on the edge of the crows nest.

Annabeth cursed and looked for the blonde Roman amongst the chaos. "JASON!"

The wind roared, and the ship lurched forward as the sudden torrent of gust rammed into the sails at full force. Had Annabeth not grabbed for the stern at the last moment, she would've been knocked off her feet like most others aboard.

Thankfully the weather change remained as Jason focused, right in the centre of the ship as he maintained the advantage. She detached the spyglass from its cord on her hip and peered through, releasing a sigh of relief as the saw the Titan ship was no longer gaining ground. But they were far from safe. Both ships were now at a stalemate. The enemy was no longer approaching, but the Blackjack couldn't seem to gain any ground. It was this fact that concerned her most. Their ship was especially designed for speed and agility. So far, no stranger's vessel had managed to compare to its superior craftsmanship. And with Jason's extra effort, all the enemy should have reached were the dying waves of the Blackjack's wake.

But yet, here the parties were, battling for ground on an even playing field. The Titan Army had somehow, in some way, manipulated a variable to increase their own speed.

Grover came scurrying across the deck, taking her attention away from the other vessel. "We need Percy! We're not going to outrun them otherwise!"

Annabeth shook her head. "He's healing, but not fast enough! Too much exertion could worsen his condition!"

The satyr visibly huffed in frustration, skimming his eyes rapidly across the deck. He left without another moment's notice, going to help Silena with the oar she was struggling to work.

Annabeth cursed as she took another peek through the spyglass. The Titan Army had caught ground, if only by a few yards. But it was enough evidence to suggest that the Blackjack still wasn't moving fast enough. Even as she thought it, she could feel the conjured torrent of wind slacken, Jason obviously having difficulties maintaining it. She glanced at the blonde boy, her fears being confirmed. His brow had furrowed, and a small grimace could be seen overtaking his facial features.

Annabeth stowed away the spyglass, jumped the railing and strode towards him. "Jason! That's enough! Conserve your energy!"

Having heard her, the wind died down dramatically. According to the flying, loose strands of her hair, he still maintained a soft breeze. Jason winced and looked down.

"Sorry, Annabeth," he said, shoulder's slumping in defeat. The sudden energy surge had taken a toll on him.

She patted his shoulder. "You did what was asked, and you did it well. The Titan Army has one upped us somehow." He nodded at her words, and quickly stumbled off to retrieve his armour.

Annabeth's concern came back at full force as she processed the situation. They could use up all their energy to try and outrun them, or save their energy to fight. The first option was the most preferable, but unattainable. Even now, the Titan vessel advanced on them from behind, becoming clearer with every second that passed. But the second option didn't seem like a wise choice at all. Annabeth had no doubt that their numbers outweighed her own. That left one other option. It seemed nearly as impossible as the first, but there was still a slim chance of success. Negotiation. Parlay. If she could somehow manipulate their situation with a one-on-one conversation with the rival captain they stood a chance.